• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sonivox - Broadway Big Band ???

Share/Bookmark

Sonivox - Broadway Big Band ???

Hi All,
    I'm thinking of buying Sonivox's 'Broadway Big Band' in the next couple of weeks or so.
    Any 'Do's and Don'ts' from you guys.
    Any one on here using it?
    Thanks.
    David Beard Music Production
    www.davidbeardmusic.com

Re: Sonivox - Broadway Big Band ???

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBeard
    Hi All,
    I'm thinking of buying Sonivox's 'Broadway Big Band' in the next couple of weeks or so.
    Any 'Do's and Don'ts' from you guys.
    Any one on here using it?
    Thanks.
    You have to use it as a standalone with Soundflower to get it to work correctly and it uses another application, the Broadway Performer, for Midi.

Broadway Big Band is indeed a PITA to use but sonically, I have not heard anything out there that is even in the same league for R & B/Jazz brass and saxes.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I have a real love/hate relationship with BBB. The sounds are absolutely second to none. They’re really quite phenomenal and its playability is inspirational.

Unfortunately the interface is incredibly clunky. There’s not just the Halion player, there’s also something called the Broadway Performer (a sort of midi router) which you have to launch alongside it. There are major issues setting it up with Logic and a Mac. As Jay says, the best way to use it is through the Soundflower app. I don’t know how it works with a PC or another DAW. It’s probably worth doing a search on the Fable Sounds Forum: http://forum.fablesounds.com/ for any potential issues. I’ve been a particularly disgruntled poster there.

It eats up your RAM. I can only load up 2 instruments within the Halion player out of a potential 16, and there’s one of the saxes that I’ve never been able to load, even with the new 8-core MacPro that I had to buy as my Dual 2Gig G5 was collapsing under the BBB strain!

EDIT: This last paragraph is incorrect. Changing a setting in the Options window has enabled me to load 10 legato patches plus 2 polyphonic ones. The problem was completely mine. I overlooked a small detail in the manual when setting up BBB. Sincere apologies to Fable Sounds.

If you have a powerful computer, don’t mind a potentially steep learning curve when it comes to getting it up and running, and have cash in your pocket then you’ll adore it. It’s the only funk/jazz/pop/big band horn sample library out there that actually sounds real.

Nick

I have to agree w/ Brotha' Man Asher.

There's a poor chap who uses it live here in Vegas. It practically needs it's own DAW. The sound and additional app. for performance are second to none, but it is a royal PITA.

I would love to use it, but I base all of my purchases on the ability of using live, as that's the bulk of my income.

I am watching it's sucess, and when it becomes easier for live work, I won't hesitate. But in it's current state, no thanks. That is a shame though, as it's authenticity is incredible.
    JimmyV

I can live with the fact the it needs its own DAW. I can live with the fact that it has missing samples. I can live with the fact that you can only load about three legato instruments on a 2gig PC. What's a little hard to comprehend is that with a user base of I would guess around say maybe three dozen, how they can seemingly ignore the need for updates and fixes on a library that costs $2300.00. I work in the music software industry and if we charged what they charged and we treated our customers that way, we'd be out of business yesterday.
    Yes, it sounds like nothing else, but is it worth the hassle...IMHO...no...
    The best way to make up for it, would be for Sonivox to give an four free dongles to everyone who has purchased BBB so at least when they buy the extra DAWS they need to run it, they don't have to buy the software again.

Sonivox is the distributor only unfortunately.

I'm glad you are chiming in here too.

I record but my bulk of income is from live performance, and I am afraid many developers have left us behind.

Thankfully my analog synths and Scope DSP based synths are in demand in Las Vegas. But I still can be found rolling my racks into after hours dives and have a blast doing R & B / Funk for the sheer fun of wine, women, and song.

As much as I like the sounds of many VSTi's they are strictly for home or studio use IMHO. I do better creating and combining several libraries for custom performances in GS3, then transferring them to GVI. I have a fine selection of sounds from Quantum Leap Brass, First Call, Sams, and Screaming Trumpets to pull off any Tower Of Power, or Bill Chase Sections, and can even squeeze off a little Maynard, or Pines Of Rome by Adolf Hersef.

I lack articulations and quality mono legato, but a smart developer could take advantage of multicore and SSE4 next year and help us live guys out. Until then I will keep pocketing my cash until that day. I will never make a mistake of buying a library like VSL again. They dare not tell you when you buy these kind of libraries, or instruments that you will have to do several takes to get the desired effect. And as you mentioned, when their sales don't hit the mark, support surely follows the same path.......................downwards.

JimmyV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    It eats up your RAM. I can only load up 2 instruments within the Halion player out of a potential 16, and there’s one of the saxes that I’ve never been able to load, even with the new 8-core MacPro that I had to buy as my Dual 2Gig G5 was collapsing under the BBB strain!

Nick
    Nick, in fairness to Fable Sounds, there is something really wrong with what you are describing here. I am using a G5 Dual 2.0. I have 4 GB ram and I am able to load at least (this is all I have tried) a BBB section of legato mic instruments: Alto, Tenor, Bari, Tpt, and Trb successfully in the standalone to use with L8.

www.jayasher.com

Wow! Hmmm. There must be something wrong then.

I've never been able to load more that two instruments in Standalone mode with either my Dual 2 Gig G5 with 4 Gigs RAM or my 8-core MacPro with 5 Gigs RAM. Bizarre! Not sure what the problem is though.

Sincer apologies to Fable Sounds if it's a problem with my system.

I should really add that even with all the issues I've experienced with it, I wouldn't swap it for the world.

i had the same poor experiences regarding RAM with BBB.
    On my G5 2ghz with 6 GB of RAM i could never get beyond 3 instruments and even those took forever to load.
    But then again i always had terrible issues with anything Halionplayerrelated.
    Kontakt or EXS works flawlessly though.
    go figure.

i am waiting for my new Macpro with 16 GB of ram to give it a second chance

the demos sure sound killer

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    Wow! Hmmm. There must be something wrong then.

I've never been able to load more that two instruments in Standalone mode with either my Dual 2 Gig G5 with 4 Gigs RAM or my 8-core MacPro with 5 Gigs RAM. Bizarre! Not sure what the problem is though.

Sincer apologies to Fable Sounds if it's a problem with my system.

I should really add that even with all the issues I've experienced with it, I wouldn't swap it for the world.
    It could be your settings in the Halion Player under Options.

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum