• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphonic GPO

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Symphonic GPO

Hello my dear friends,

today another piece of mine called "Winning Moments". Kind of epic movie style writing. I use here full max GPO and other libs. I hope you like it. Comments very welcome.

Link: http://www.box.net/shared/pejqfzhfkr

There maybe be some loading delay from boxnet.com..so far I know they have today problems with his servers.

JL

P.S. I know there is a large reverb which has here been used for certain reasons. I know also that the most people dosen't likes bright reverb configurations..I know that..but I like it!

Re: Symphonic GPO

Ah, yes! I can hear it now!

"In a world where a man's greatest hopes can become reality, one man was determined to rise above them all."

This has great potential. I love power brass like that. But to my ears, it lacked definition somewhat - almost as if I were outside the movie theater listening through the closed door. Is it just a case of too long a reverb time? I'd rather let the tekkies here deal with that. It sounded like there was a lot going on but I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to listen to. E.g. the melodies in strings and brass were somewhat buried.

But as far as composition goes, very exciting! Look forward to hearing more from you.

Owen

Englishgent wrote: This has great potential. I love power brass like that. But to my ears, it lacked definition somewhat - almost as if I were outside the movie theater listening through the closed door. Is it just a case of too long a reverb time? I'd rather let the tekkies here deal with that. It sounded like there was a lot going on but I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to listen to. E.g. the melodies in strings and brass were somewhat buried.

And I fully agree on this.

Raymond

Hello, Jaques

Epic! A nice huge orchestra produced as a good emulation of The Hollywood Sound. What fun to work on, I am sure!

Perhaps relying too much on the "Superman-The Movie" theme?--in rhythms and in what seems to be a central motif?

Something else, which is perhaps what the others here are reacting to, is that there actually isn't a strong and boldly stated THEME, which is a hallmark of the style you're working in here. Movie themes of this kind state a strong melody and work it over and over so the audience has The Hook in their head before the first line of dialogue is spoken.

This piece is more impressionist, with nice, interesting shifting textures, and it keeps seeming like it's going to latch onto a theme--then it dissolves away into the softer non-melodic impressionist area which really doesn't jibe with the EPIC HOLLYWOOD style you were going for.

--Reminder that naturally I'm only passing on my personal reaction and opinion. I admire the work and thrust of your project. I've tried to explain how I think it could be stronger if the classic elements of film scoring were more adhered to, and if perhaps what you have wasn't so unfortunately reminiscent of "Superman."

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I got the same outside the theater sound. Like im outside on the phone, and i hear the music from the hallway. Could be what you were goingfor. Im not sure.Sounds brilliant though. Was that VSL libraries too?
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Up in the sky!
    Is it a bird?
    Is it a plane?

Neat brass work!!!!!

What did you render this thru? And what libraries is this?

Nice stuff
    Ron

Thumbs up Re: Symphonic GPO

Hi guys,

First thank you very much for your nice comments here. Well, first some words to the reverb space. For my point of view these kind of large power brass figures and these "fff" tuttis calls for a large room. So therefore I use a large reverb here. I use on this render a "waves platinum" plug in.
    On the other hand if I not using some large reverb..the effect of the power becomes very dry for my taste. I think always that an 85 - 95 people orchestra needs a large room to play. And if you going to some concerts of this kind of music..let’s say in large open air situation it's sounds almost in space aspects like this. I have use here the whole GPO - mix and doubling them together with SAM brass lib. - Vitous lib. for Str. - Sidlaczek lib. for Str. - & Perc.. I use here compressor plug's to reinforcement the volume aspect of certain instruments like the brass or celli.

Randy...thank you for your detailed analysis of this little exert here.
    Your right concerning the less strongness & boldly theme. Hollywood and superman was..believe me. not my intend. I wrote this stuff for a jingle record company and they call for titles for sport events. So I think on a sitution where someone "winning" a prize in a large sport stadium (r.e. for reverb consid.) or a equipment of football players has been honored. Your'e right for a movie situation with super heroes...shure a more definitive theme with a strong character need to be composed or even this motive has to be more strong played by use a stronger orchestration.

Thanks all of you for these very valuable comments I really enjoy it.

JL

Jaques, I like this. I think though, that it doesn't quite get off the ground. There is a lot of 'pad' type of sounds, but it does not seem to develop enough. It is a very nice sound though. Perhaps it could use more melodic build. Just my very humble opinion. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

A grand, sweeping, epic feel to this, Jaques, very effective.
    Wonderful writing in it!

But my friend, I would be dishonest not to tell you that the
    extensive reverb disserves the music. This is strong, able
    writing; and the sound treatment veils the clarity of the
    musical thinking in this. I hope you will give some further
    thought to this aspect of the rendering.

Regardless -- still another impressive entry from you, Jaques!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jacques:

I think the music is very characteristic of the title. Heroic? Very
    much so.

With all the libraries you used, you can't help but develop a
    very large sound and with the extensive reverb, it even grows
    larger. For what you intended, I think you attained your goal.

Good writing. Wish it was developed more, but, as you say, you
    wrote what the company wanted.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast