• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tale of a Songbird

Tale of a Songbird

Rendering this thing gave me a hell of a time. I believe there must be nothing more difficult in the art of sequencing than trying to produce a passably believable performance with a solo string sample.

For this production I use the J&BB Steinway and the GPO KS Gagliano Violin.

Thumbs up Re: Tale of a Songbird

Sean, I agree to all of what you say and more.. rendering to simulate live performance takes a hell of a lot of time, and in the end I have never been satisfied with the results. You might try nudging the notes some on all of the violin ornaments as well as slight intonation variations and have the piano miss the beat on entrances a little more...all in all it was a very nice piece and I would willingly listen to it again.
    Best wishes

Re: Tale of a Songbird

I'm right with you on the difficulty of working with solo strings! You've handled it very well (especially not using the Strad). A couple of the pitch bends sounded fake, but I sure can't complain as I can't get anywhere near this.

You've given me fresh impetus to persevere with strings.

Thanks for posting.

Very nice. Getting solo strings to sound right looks like a daunting task. I haven't even tried yet, but your rendition sounds very nice. It gives me something to shoot for when I get brave enough to try solo strings.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Nice job on this. At first, I thought a little too much
    "Alberti" accompaniment, but your changes throughout
    the piece dispute that criticism.

In my headset, it seemed that, in the beginning, the piano
    overshadowed the violin on some of the more prominent
    violin passages. Maybe reduced the volume on the piano
    would solve this.

I thought, overall, that this was a really good violin/piano
    piece and (if you had the Stradivarius), it would really

BRAVO, Sean

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi, Sean

Wow - What a beautiful recording you've made of this really lovely piece of music.

I think you should wipe your brow and be pleased that you've done superb work. I'm loving my third time through listening.

Our demands for vermisilitude in the sound of virtual instruments just keep on increasing as programmers keep developing more sophisticated instruments. Not all that long ago this solo Violin performance you've achieved would have been nothing short of astounding. - Ever try to use the old hardware synth versions of a solo Violin?--Yikes!

And now we have incredible instruments like The Garritan Strad, and in comparison, the solo GPO strings sound not as acceptable to us, when performed nakedly solo as in your recording. The samples for the Gagliano Violin and the other solo strings in GPO are just simpler, less complex, and unable to match the huge amount of multi-sampling and programming in the Garritan Strad or Cello.

But meanwhile, I think you've done the most that can be done, and it sounds great. There are times when overlapping notes momentarily are polyphonic, and the pitch bend doesn't quite achieve what you were after. But my goodness, I am sure I've never heard a GPO Solo Violin sound so wonderful. SO Bravo.

Piano playing is superb also.

NICE!--Beyond that, Outstanding!

Randy B.

A really nice sound. I like how the violin drops out occasionally, to leave the piano by itself for a short time. I think the rendering on violin is good.

Wilton, NH

I really liked this. Very pretty. Your hard work was well worth it – the rendering is very good. I agree with Owen that a few of the pitch bends were over done, but other than hat it sounded great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Penfield (Rochester), NY

This is fantasic rendering...so realistic. I am pleased with your choice of the Gagliano over the Strad. It is a much warm, more personal instrument in my opinion, always my choice in solo and small ensemble settings.

Thanks for sharing it with us

Sean, you're certainly right about rendering solo strings;
    and I know that Gagliano -- you have gotten absolutely
    incredible mileage out of it in this!

Quite an able job in the writing, as well; this songbird has
    taken an accomplished and handsome flight...

My best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast