• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Selling my music, the legal stuff with the actual recordings?

OT - Selling my music, the legal stuff with the actual recordings?

For the past few months I've been thinking of making a decent CD cover, and a CD, with 5-6 of my classical tracks, all recorded live (no samplers), and send them to various radio stations, in case they would like to play them. I do know a few people as well, so it kinda makes sense.

Now here's my problem:

2 of the tracks are recorded by me as a pianist. No big deal then.
    1 of the tracks is recorded by two violonists, who I paid a small amount (small piece, around £100 each), so I guess it's ok. I never said I would sell it though.
    1 of the track is taken from a workshop in my college, but is an excellent piece and an excellent recording imo
    The last track is taken from a concert with the student string orchestra, with a conductor and all that, in the college halls.

My problem probably lies with the bottom 2 tracks, if any. And this is the question. I mean, I don't plan on making any money really. What? Sell 50 copies tops! Who would buy them? Just to make the expenses for the copies of the CDs, and to make the shipping expenses as well to the radio stations.

Ethicaly I can't say I have much of a problem. My music totally, my scores, they knew there would be a recording, I'm friends with all involved, and I'm not really making any money (I guess it would be different if Deca wanted to publish 50,000 copies or something ).

But legally, where do I stand? Who's got the copyrights to the actual recordings? It's my music, I was there, blah blah, but...?

Re: OT - Selling my music, the legal stuff with the actual recordings?

Hi Nikolas as the UK law stands on Sessions the violinists are due a small percentage. It is worked out on fractions at cost price of your CD.

I would Speak to MCPS and the MU for clarification.

I am not able to remember current fees and calculations.

Also post this at Sound on Sound too as laws vary from country to country
    I hope that help a little bit

And now also at Flickr!

View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

between this place and that place

maybe join taxi.com since your are interested in radio and commercail.

Did you do a search on the forum about this because over the years this has come up quite a few times.

All I can say is copyright your scores at copyright.gov
    copyright the recordings read the small print about work for hire etc.

the mixing the recordings belong to who ever did those recordings(who mixed and recorded them?) what studio?

The music belongs to you the scores are yours but that doesn't mean the recordings are yours unless you hired a pro mixer to record and mix them.

Now change your attitude man about your music and wear a different Hat! you want to publish a classical cd well that kicks ~~~!
    Make that cd the best it can be think about how your going to market it who is going out to all that! Use it as a promotional too to get lot's of film jobs etc
    Put it on CD baby try and get it in commercials or any kind of media (who knows maybe a motif in one of your string pieces really catches a directors ear)
    Mention the style of music it is too(Romantic strings? Impressionism?, pure classical or Rocco classical?)

Put something up in the school to promote the guys who performed it. Damn to much .
    well have fun Be a Samurai about your music!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks strangecat.

Hem, I'm not sure I follow you for the first part of your post, as it's a bit different to what I asked. The situation is as I described it. Only one track (the concert) had a normal (student) engineer, and blah blah, etc. I will ask them though.

On copyrighting my scores and my music, I'm ok don't worry (btw, I dont' think that copyright.gov is for me, since I'm Greek and I live in London).

The attitude, you are right, but until I can get permission and have everything ready, you won't see me promoting anything and I tend to keep low profile. After that by all means, I hope to sell huge amounts and make tons of cash! (no, really, but don't see it, unless you people would like to support this move, otherwise... )

I'll look into copyright.gov, though as well as PRS, and all the relavent links over the weekend to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help!

between this place and that place

ahh Greece beautiful women there. Greek and in London Ha Nice!

It sounds like it all belongs too you. Ask the conductor too, but copyright it all first and make sure it wasn't work for higher and all that.

Hey man attitude is everything! Like Samurai!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hey Nikolas,

I don't know what the laws in the UK are, but here in the US you'd need a release from the performers on your recordings in order to "exploit them commercially", regardless of how much money you'll actually make.

The release is basically a piece of paper they sign in which they give you permission to use the recording which embodies their performance in any way you see fit, and in which they affirm that you should be the sole owner of the recording in which they participated.

It's important to notice that a composition and a recording of that composition are two different things legally.
    As the composer you automatically own your composition from the date of creation.
    However any recording of that composition should be regarded as jointly owned by all the participants in the recording, unless there's an agreement to the contrary. That signed release is such an agreement to the contrary. You should have no problem getting a release from the people you paid...after all you did pay them...but with friends it can be trickier to bring up this subject.

Nevertheless it IS important, cause once you release your music into the world, you never know what will happen.
    Lets say...3 years down the road some tv producer hears one of the cues and wants use part of it as a background piece in one of his shows. He's almost certainly going to want you to sign a licensing agreement in which (among many other things) you confirm you own the rights to not only the composition, but also the recording. How are you gonna track down all of the people who played on it 3 years later to get their permission?
    And if you don't and sign that license agreement, you have just opened yourself to potential major legal trouble.

So, better cross all the t's and dot all the i's before you proceed.

Best of luck!

Go Back to forum