• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM Timings 4 VSTi's

Share/Bookmark

RAM Timings 4 VSTi's

I have been using Scope DSP / Gigastudio DAW's since GSIF 1.0 back in '99.

They work flawlessley live, and in the studio as well. But I have recently dropped GS3 live in favor of GVI, and K2 using Bidule. Since the customer support @ Tascam and Plogue is so fast, I stay with them.

But I have really come to love the quality of sample based VSTi's this last year, and plan on upgrading from a DP965LT / E6700 to a P35 based E6850 in late December. The 3GB LAA switch and the new upgrade will allow me to load more and more VSTi's and libraries. I currently load enough to do my gigs w/o having to load or touch my DAW during a performance. Once I start performing the thought of tweaking settings, loading, etc. is unacceptable. I got rid of my 28U racks of EMU's, Akai's, and Oberheim DPX's back in '98 for that reason.

I currently use WD1500's and have used Raptors 24/7 w/o a single hiccup for years, so this will not change, but I am relatively new to this lovely VSTi instrument DAW, but GVI, and K2 have proven to be a performers dream. So I need to hear from members here on which timings in RAM would be optimal.

I will be OC'ng a DFI P35 Blood Iron, so w/ the stock CL3 OCZ Flex DIMM's I will have plenty of options for volatge, multiplier, and FSB tweaks.

I Have Decided To Stop Here First Before I Consult The Oracle At Delphi,
    JimmyV

Re: RAM Timings 4 VSTi's

This board needs DDR2 800 memory. I'm not sure what the speed of the memory you have now is. Most DDR2 800 memory runs at CL5.

Jim

I use to to fish at the lake by Chandler when I worked at Vintage Recording.

Thanks 4 Your Relpy.

I have learned from experience that low latency RAM works great if you buy the spec.'d versions. CL3 DDRII from OCZ can have a tight low end and high FSB. That always worked well w/ Giga and Scope DSP cards. But I have been using the ASIO 2 64 Drivers on my DSP cards, and Bidule. All is good, and w/ the 3GB RAM switch I had to purchase Forte. I haven't recieved it yet but the upgrade I want to do won't be expensive, and will also keep me tied over till 64bit drivers from Scope developers are released. Honestly, I load my whole gig at once as it is, but wish to use new CPU intensive K2, and GVI instruments.

The Pedal Steel GVI that was demo'd at the AES a few weeks ago was phenominal, and more of that caliber are on their way. I prefer being prepared when they are out of beta.

Thanks Brotha' Man.
    JimmyV

I haven't messed with the settings on my system. I've had a Asus board with the P965 chipset. I'm running Corsair memory at 1.9v with 5-5-5-15 memory settings which is the default for the memory. Make sure the memory you get is at the correct voltage for your motherboard. Many boards are quite picky about voltage. The computer has 4 GB of memory. I use the /3GB switch for Windows XP 32 bit version.

The bottleneck in my system is still not enough memory. I'm waiting for more VSTi's to be 64-bit before using my XP x64 partition. I've had over 30 VSTI's loaded in one song. The only VSTi causing any issues is the Arturia CS-80v which is quite CPU hungry. I could only run about 2 of these on my old P-4 system. I've had 6 running on this system plus 4 Arturia MiniMoogs and quite a few Kontakt 2's, DKFH Superior and many others at the same time. I usually have to freeze a couple of the Arturia CS-80v as they have a tendency to spike once in awhile. Most of the time I rarely get over 30% CPU usage with peaks to 50%.

I only use Seagate SATAII 7500 rpm hard drives which have no issue streaming all the voices with full orchestra pieces. I've had songs with 50 stereo audio tracks (24 bit, 44.1 KHz) plus a couple plugs streaming voices and hit about 50-60% hard drive usuage.

I'm quite happy with what my latest system is doing but again the biggest drawback isn't CPU, memory or hard drive speed. The need for more memory and x64 VSTI's is the main issue.

Jim

I found information at----- www.dawbench.com---.

I just bought Forte to see how the 3GB LAA switch will do. It sounds like from your description of your DAW that the switch is a big help. I actually have my synths in the form of hardware analog, and the Scope DSP cards. I have my hardware Solaris by John Bowen half paid off, and that will free up tons of DSP resources. It should be released right after NAMM '08.

My desire is to run dedicated VSTi's for certain instruments where the audio is streamed from the array. But I hate buying a quality VSTi, just to find out it hogs my ability to load more.

Maybe GS4 will be a great host. I loved the way GVI's code doubled the loading ability of content, over GS3, and GigaPulse turned out to be a very decent EReflec. effect.

My sources tell me that GS4 spawns multple threads, and the app could take one core, and divvy up the rest over other cores. That's a big plus for Giga.
    Hopefully the 64 bit version will alleviate the memory addressing bottleneck.

I yearn for the day where I can buy instuments that have the quality I like, and the ability to load many.

Thanks For Your Reply,
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum