• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius 5 and 5.1 Demos Won't Load

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 5 and 5.1 Demos Won't Load

I downloaded the Sibelius 5 demo some time ago and was initially able to use it successfully. However, at some point it stopped being able to even open. After a couple days of debugging and searching I found the Google Desktop issue and thought I had things solved. A little while later, however, it started hanging during startup with the displayed text "Creating tool windows: Ideas detailed view".

I tried many different things to get it to work, including various Microsoft .NET Framework patches. I had pretty much given up on it for a while and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to do a project due in January in Finale 2007 (an equally capable program, but missing a couple features I had looked forward to in Sibelius 5). However, when I heard talk of other people having issues with the Ideas View and that some of them had been addressed in the 5.1 update, I downloaded the 5.1 demo. Unfortunately, I still had the exact same error.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I would really hate to make a decision about what package to buy on the basis of this issue. I am running Windows XP (32-bit) SP 2 on a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM and my soundcard is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Re: Sibelius 5 and 5.1 Demos Won't Load

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman
    I tried many different things to get it to work, including various Microsoft .NET Framework patches. I had pretty much given up on it for a while and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to do a project due in January in Finale 2007 (an equally capable program, but missing a couple features I had looked forward to in Sibelius 5). However, when I heard talk of other people having issues with the Ideas View and that some of them had been addressed in the 5.1 update, I downloaded the 5.1 demo. Unfortunately, I still had the exact same error.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I would really hate to make a decision about what package to buy on the basis of this issue. I am running Windows XP (32-bit) SP 2 on a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM and my soundcard is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496.
    I just went through this exact same procedural set of issues on a Windows based system (Just yesterday in fact). Try this process and you will have great results.

1) Delete both sets of downloads as you describe above. Sib 5 (if you did download a trial version or if you purchased this version) and Sib 5.1 trial and references to it using the Add/Remove method in Windows .
    2) Delete references in the remaining remnants using MS Explorer that show up on your main drive. In most cases this is the "C" Drive.
    3) Download and install all Windows updates from the Windows download Center.
    4) Download and install the latest C++runtime from the Windows Download Center
    5) Download and install the latest .net Framework from Windows Download Center.
    6) Download and install the trial version of Sibelius 5.1. or the full version if purchased.
    7) Reboot

This should be all the needed non-Sibelius software needed to use the latest program version of Sibelius notation software. If you purchased the Sibelius 5.1 program, you will need to delete the trial version before installing the full version.

Note 1: There are an enormous amount of improvements in 5.1 over 5.0. If you want the details, please go to the Tech support chat page or go to the products page on their website to download the PDF of all of the changes made. Issues raised in your comments above have been addressed. Here's the link for the PDF -

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/u...51 changes.pdf

Note 2: Depending on what other programs you have installed on your system, I would recommend adding at least another Gig of RAM to your system. I have 4G in my system even though Windows XP only recognizes 3G of RAM. Further, defrag your system before installing any of the above - Trial version or Full version.

I have used Sibelius for two full version and now for the 5.1 updates. Although the latest version is superior in many ways over all or the previous versions, it still has some glitches and weaknesses most of which can be worked around. Even with all of the changes Sibelius is in my opinion one of the two best programs around for music notation, once learned, Finale is the second. Notion is pretty good but it has more limitations than either Sibelius or Finale. It does have a steep learning curve for the newbies just getting started with the more advanced notation software. More experienced users will find it one of the best or the best around. It is efficient and intuitive and it produces a high quality output. I use it daily with no major problems. Having been a long time user of the Sibelius program and a Finale user, I still prefer Sibelius. One other point, in todays digiworld, upgrades and new versions are never tweaked to an end users satisfaction. There will always be glitches and limitations at least in the short term. Sibelius is no exception nor is Finale. Sibelus has addressed many concerns over the changes made between v4 and v5 in the newest upgrade v5.1 and in my experience v5.1 is the best product yet put out by Sibelius.

Using VST's is fully operable and the advantages go mostly to your sample quality. Functionally, Sibelius does this quite well now. It takes a bit to get used to how to use them but once you learn how it's actually fairly simple. How you store your samples will play a major role in how efficient use of VST's can be rewarding for you. External Hard Drive storage units are not recommended because of the transfer rate limits on these drives. It is far better to have multiple computers networked together using a NIC Gigabit transfer set-up if you use a lot of samples or large samples such as EWQLSO or VSL.

Lastly, the tech support is very good and if you run across any glitches they work with you to help you get through issues you may be having fairly quickly.

My system is as follows:

Windows XP Pro w/SP2, 3GHtz Processor, 4G RAM, Sibelius 5.1, CuBase SX3, Wavelab 6.0, EWQLSO - Platinum, Gold & Silver, VSL Concert Guitar, Horizon Percussion, and Mallets.

Good luck with your decision.
    Don

StringTunes - Music To Soothe Your Soul!
    www.stringtunes.com

Thanks a lot Don. I look forward to trying that out as soon as I finish mastering a techno orchestral track for Liquid.

thank you very much

Go Back to forum