• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano source for Halo 3 Chopin piece?

Piano source for Halo 3 Chopin piece?

Hate to be the one to ask this, but does anyone know the details behind the recording session for the Halo 3 ad with the Chopin Raindrop piano piece? Nice micing and sound--not too distant and not too close: good presence on each note.

What I really want to know, of course, is if this was a recording of a real piano being played or a sample library. Sounds live, but one can hope...

I did a google search, but couldn't even find the name of the pianist, who somehow I imagine as having been credited somewhere for this recording. (Or do musicians for ads or game sounds not receive any kind of published credit at all, even on industry sites just detailing the personnel on a recording session?)

Re: Piano source for Halo 3 Chopin piece?

I don't know any of the information for which you asking.

I'm not a gamer, not into video games at all.

BUT I think the Halo 3 ad with the Chopin prelude is one of the most effective and coolest ads I have seen in a long time.

I teach piano and I now have a student learning the D-flat Major prelude due to seeing the Halo 3 ad.

Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

I don't play games, either-- just saw the ad on television and loved the piano sound. The middle register comes through very cleanly. I suspect it's a recording of someone playing a real instrument, but want to learn that it's from a sample library.

Here is the ad.

The music & visuals are both very well done. Of course the video source (youtube) is rather poor.

I found that, too. The sound quality isn't great either, at least on my notebook. Came across much better on tv, which it was of course recorded for...And I guess the sound quality in computer film files is just less than ideal?

Anyone know what's the best movie file format for sound?

Just for starters, youtube collapses everything to mono. Highly annoying, as I produce a lot of vids for youtube, and I have to make separate mono mixes (as opposed to the stereo DVD mix)

Well, I'm getting closer. Found the Caifornia ad agency that created the tv ad, but it's a holding group\collective that has several subsidiary agencies, and none of their sites lists this specific ad.

Given the long list of credits at the end of films these days, the trouble I'm having finding the pianist seems strange. I can understand that, per contract, the musician would receive no royalities or screen credit, but surely someone, somewhere has a posted list of of all the people who contributed to the recording session. Or is this a very bad sign of where things are---the music is essential to the "product" (the ad), but the musician is just a resource so unimportant that she\he isn't worth mentioning?

But at the end of films, we can read who created the text for the credits that we are reading as we read the credits. And for this game ad, even Chopin isn't mentioned in any of the corporate accounts of the ad.

South Ken, London

Its not real. It may even just be a free midi file run through a clavinova or something but this sort of thing probably wouldn't credit the pianist anyway. Why credit the artist in this day and age?.

Now that the dust has settled, has anyone figured out who played it and on what kind of piano (or sample)? It's a great interpretation and I'd love to know who it is. Some have said Horowitz, but the one Horowitz take I heard was notably faster and not so somber.

Judging by some of the postings out there, the commercial did do at least a little something to get a few piano students inspired about learning the Chopin piece. Since the commercial made a particularly musical mark, it's kind of sad that composer/performer information is so hard to come by.

Best copy I've found is this one:

But you still can't tell much about recording (or sample) quality from that. You can get a sense of the performance though.

sounds like a real piano to me.

Go Back to forum