• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: WASHINGTON POST - Sousa - with Concert/Marching Band

Share/Bookmark

WASHINGTON POST - Sousa - with Concert/Marching Band

I've had a lot of fun this past week delving more into my newest library, The Garritan CMB (Concert and Marching Band).

WASHINGTON POST
    by John Philip Sousa
    (click title for MP3)

I was inspired to do a Sousa march when I picked up an old RCA "Living Stereo" album from 1959 for a quarter at our Library's annual used book/etc. sale.

The record features The Norwegian Military Band, conducted by Leif Nagel, performing Sousa and other favorite marching band pieces.

First I played the march as arranged by Jean-Francois Taillard, using a free PDF score of his I found online. He had reduced the march for a brass quintet.

Using the Norwegian Military Band record as a guide, I fleshed out the simple Taillard arrangement.

For those interested, here's the list of CMB instruments I used, and some production details:
    Trumpet group-solo 1
    Trumpet group-solo 2
    Cornet group 1
    Fr Horn group-solo 1
    Fr Horn group-solo 2
    Fr Horn group-solo 3
    TBone group-solo 1
    TBone group-solo 2
    Bass Trombone solo
    Tuba group-solo 1
    Piccolo group-solo 1
    Flute group 1
    Bb Clarinet group 1
    Euphoniuim group 1
    Snare Drum
    Snare Drum, second isntance, detuned +.93
    GPO Snare from Orchestra Percussion (included in CMB)
    cymbals
    small Bass Drum
    Bass Drum GPO (also in CMB)
    Glock Brass

For the final chorus, I doubled up the three snares by bouncing them together to a track, then pitch shifting, stereo expanding and off-setting the track.

I used Garritan Ambience on the Concert Hall 1 setting, each track with a send set at varying amounts going to a reverb bus.

I recorded the march in Sonar Home Studio 4 XL. Plugins were an automated JS EQ and Modern Limiter. The 2-track mix down was mastered in Sound Forge where a large impulse file was added subtly to the whole mix using S.I.R.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: WASHINGTON POST - Sousa - with Concert/Marching Band

Randy, this is excellent!

Fantastic job on the rendering in this... listened
    to it several times to key in on some of the techniques
    you mentioned -- highly effective.

Now, could you maybe have them march around
    while they do this?

Er, well, maybe that's pushing it a little... lol!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David, thank you so much, glad you like!

"...Now, could you maybe have them march around
    while they do this?..."

You know me and my bent for the dramatic--I really did seriously consider doing just that--having the band start off in the distance from the left, march to center, and then maybe march around in circles--LOL!---Um,---but I decided to skip that part.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    David, thank you so much, glad you like!

"...Now, could you maybe have them march around
    while they do this?..."

You know me and my bent for the dramatic--I really did seriously consider doing just that--having the band start off in the distance from the left, march to center, and then maybe march around in circles--LOL!---Um,---but I decided to skip that part.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Actually, I was only half joking about that, Randy.

If anybody's got the chops to pull it off, you do... lol.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It was late in the evening... I was sitting quietly and painting some fantasy landscape... before turning in to sleep... when I decided to have a peep into the forum...
    And there was your Sousa march!
    I'm not a big fan of marches, but there are some that catch my ear (and my legs), and Sousa's marches are among those.
    As soon as it started to play... I started to march!!
    Well seasoned and 'cooked' indeed!!
    I personally would add just a tiny bit more of 'salt and pepper'... but that's me...
    I have a problem now... I'm wide awake...

Yudit

While also not a big fan of marches, Sousa has always been an exception (having paid my dues in the high school band) I can tell you had a lot of fun doing this. The arrangement and mix were very clear and transparent which really helps the listening experience. Now, if I can just get my right foot to stop tapping!

Thanks for sharing - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hello, Yudit! - It's really nice to see you on one of my threads again. Glad I got you marching around with this. I've never paid all that much attention to marches either really, but I Do enjoy the sensibilities of late Victorian music, ala Gilbert and Sullivan which I've made recordings of. This is rather of that ilk.

Hmm, I wonder what manner of "salt and pepper" you would add? Perhaps you're reacting to how I arranged and played this with a bit more restraint and contrast in dynamics than traditionally done. The recording I mentoned starts off HUGE and stays HUGE throughout the whole brief time span of the march--and that's the way we usually hear this, I do believe. I wanted a bit more variety, and also tuned in to my affection for circus music as I worked on t his.

Great to have you stop by, thanks "Sunbird."

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Outstanding job, Bro Bowser. I AM a big fan of marches and I thoroughly enjoyed your rendering of this Sousa favorite.

The lower brass, especially tuba, is very realistic.

Thanks and regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Fabulous rendering job! I've been a big march fan since I was a little kid. This one is very nicely done. I like the part where the baton twirlers throw their batons way up in the air then catch them in perfect time. Keep 'em coming.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Randy,

Last fourth of July I was enjoying the fireworks while the local community band played the Washington Post March. While listening, I remember wishing and hoping someone would realize this march with the Concert and Marching Band library. And here it is - done extremely well!

Originally written for a Washington Post newspaper contest in 1889, this has become one of John Philip Sousa's most popular and most performed marches. This march reputedly helped to bring the newspaper fame and national attention.

You have done a remarkable job Randy. The whole thing works and I would not change a thing. I hope you would not mind if we put this on our CoMB demo page.

Excuse me while I liisten again and again and march around the office.

Thank you for posting this.

Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast