• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: another piano sample thread - joy!

Share/Bookmark

another piano sample thread - joy!

I hate to start another thread about piano samples, but I\'d like to know what you guys recommend for a really nice pop piano. The sound I want is like the piano on Vanessa Carlton\'s album. The song \"A thousand miles\" is what I want a piano to sound like. I\'m kind of tired of buying samples that I don\'t need. I have Malmsjo and I love it.. but it just won\'t work for pop. I have Giga piano and - well you know the problems there.

Some people have suggested Kip\'s Bosendorfer... but it\'s $200 and I\'ve spent so much on gear lately I can\'t afford a purchase that\'s not exactly what I want. I\'ve heard some of the new C7 library demos and haven\'t been super impressed, but maybe someone could comment? Thanks!

Re: another piano sample thread - joy!

For the kind of stuff you\'re talking about, one of the guy\'s in our studio uses an EastWest Bosendorfer and has tweaked it so it works nicely. I think its because its got a very compressed sound to it that can work well if its mixed correctly. He also likes one from the Bigga soundset (sorry, can\'t remember if that\'s even the correct name but its something like that).

Me, I prefer the Kawai MP9500 preset pianos for the sort of stuff you\'re talking about, but I don\'t do much in the way of pop music and its not a sample library piano.

1. Bigga Giggas Studio Grand 88
    2. Vintaudio C7

I would recommend both of these for the purpose.
    The Studio Grand is really a bargain for what you get! It\'s got slightly more bite than the C7 and a fuller bass. Both pianos plays really great!

/Mattias

You know... I\'m still using the \"EastWest Steinway B\" and think it sounds just great! There are quite a few piano CD ROMs out there right now... but I kinda like the Steinway B\'s sound. Gary [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

INtresting. The demos seem to kind of have a harshness to the sample with both of those pianos. (the studio Grand, and the Vintaudio). That\'s why I haven\'t got either one yet. From what I can tell they don\'t seem to be as smooth as what I would like. BUT, that\'s why I\'m posting. Any other thoughts anyone?

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    INtresting. The demos seem to kind of have a harshness to the sample with both of those pianos. (the studio Grand, and the Vintaudio). That\'s why I haven\'t got either one yet. From what I can tell they don\'t seem to be as smooth as what I would like. BUT, that\'s why I\'m posting. Any other thoughts anyone?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am exactly in the same boat. I use PMI\'s Steinway (and EQ the heck out of it to marginally sucess). I would love a C7 that has presence but not brittle. For under $100 I am almost thining the Bigga is a no lose.

Rob

JWhaley,

All I can say is that my $200 bucks was worth $2000 bucks of inspiration and BTW Kip\'s featured Gibson 1948 Archtop and Desmond Guitars are also invited to the wedding too!

http://www.motifator.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1,2,4&Board=Songs&Number=43740&pa ge=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Alan Russell

Gary Thomas,

IMHO, the way to really hear a great sample piano is to hear it in a song-arrangement in the pop, jazz and ballad genre.
    I exclusively use Bardstownaudio\'s Imperial Grand in all of my latest work. What I truly love about it, is that it doesn\'t have to be tweaked at all and is so natural in its raw state as a sampled piano for all of the pop and Jazz genres I love to score.

You\'re invited! (Link Below)

Alan Russell

This is a real tough call. There are quite a few exceptional libraries on the market today. The \"old\" East West Bosey is still one of my fav\'s but as fare as the new libraries are concerned Kip\'s is my weapon of choice.

Phillip

I think a lot of it has to do with mic placement. I\'ve come to the conclusion that close miced pianos sound harsh and far miced ones don\'t. The problem is, far miced pianos are lacking in tonal width and clarity yet close miced ones are full of tone. You just can\'t win. Perhaps the piano samplers are playing things too straight? How about modifying the original recordings with additional processing or layering of other piano/artifical tones - in the same way that Yamaha does with its digital pianos? It might sound odd, but it could just produce the piano we\'re all waiting for.

Steve

Go Back to forum