• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gymnopedie No.1 for Guitar

Share/Bookmark

Gymnopedie No.1 for Guitar

I hope that you like this transcrpition of Eric Satie's wonderful composition Gymnopedie No. 1. I originally did the transcription many many many years ago when I was in college....Oh my gosh!!!!! (how long ago???) Well....a few years ago I wrote it up in Sibelius 3.....then my computer promply crashed and burned.....This morning I was laying in bed and thinking why not try to revive it....and so it goes.....I was able to force it open in Sebelius 4, then exported it as a midi file and then rendered it in sonar using GPO Harp for a substitute GUITAR sound.........It has a little light compression and reverb on it.....as well as a little tweaking of the volume......
    I do hope that you enjoye it....
    Cliff

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=50085
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Re: Gymnopedie No.1 for Guitar

The harp stands in nicely for the guitar. That's a very clean render of a very serene and restful piece. Good job.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Hi, Cliff

I've always loved this piece. Such a great melody over the simple chord progression.

And you've done a super job here. I appreciate you explaining the process you went through, and the history of the files you worked with - spans quite a few years sounds like.

Great - Thanks.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Cliff,

Nice going. The harp works well on this. Why not try No. 2, almost identical to No. 1. Then go to No. 3, darn similar to No. 1 . Geeee do I see a pattern here?

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thumbs up Re: Gymnopedie No.1 for Guitar

I wasn't going to post response yet, because i have to get away from the computer for a while, but just had to. Enjoyed it very very much you have done a superb job of capturing it's simple grace and elagance. This has been one of my favorites since i first heard it, probably something like thirty years ago. I have heard it many many times and have to say your rendition ranks up there at the top, very well done, Cliff, with the rendering as well as the eq'ing the harp.

David

David
    I have to agree with you...i have been lucky enough to have played this as an ensemble member and then as my own solo....there are several other melodies just like it that have been in the back of my mind for a while now,,,,But thank you for spending just a little more time and post your reply....
    Gary...and I thought that I was a maniac......but I enjoyed the humor.....however as nice as Nos 2 & 3 are.....I need to leave them for someone else to do...
    Randy....My ol friend......needless to say.....I rendered this in SONAR 7 which I just installed a little over a week ago and am trying to come to grips with.....I did spend a lot of time on the Midi controllers this morning.....and then just to make it all happen it of couse took me two to three times as longer to do something than normal....(what ever that is????)
    fizwig.....I have watched your replyes to others and you amaze me at how fast things are coming to you.

To all four of you..........I am honored that you took the time to listen and reply to my transcription......THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    I was just lucky enough to pull this thru...........
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Cliff,

Nice work - the harp makes a good stand-in for the guitar; almost too good...
    The realizations is very well handled; could have a touch of rubato here or there, but that's a minor quibble.

Thanks for reminding of of how nice this piece is.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Cliff,

this is very very nice, I enjoyed it!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Ron
    I was thinking the very same thing.....however the tempo is slow as it is and I did not wish to make the composition collapse in terms of tempo....but I think that you are correct in your assessment....Now the harp...your right as well...since it is so hard to get a good guitar sound I felt that the very next best option was the harp....But thank you for listening and commenting because I value your opinion in this area very much because you are a guitar person and have a inside view point that is very valuable...so thank you

Gunther
    We have not spoken much but I have seen your work and very much appreciate your work........thank you for spending the time to listen to my transcription and I am glad that you like it.........

Thank you guys......I am as always humbled by you all.......
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Cliff

Wonderful rendering of a classic. I think I might like this this way instead of with the guitar.

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast