I've been wondering about this for sometime and would like to get some comments and recomendations.
1. Should western tonal music history be taught as an academic course in High School?
2. Should sight singing and ear training be taught in High School?
3. Should there be a minimum requirement of music curriculum in High School? (music appreciation)
4. Should there be a music technology component required of those who pursue music and/or arts in High School?
5. Should there be a piano study requirement for High School music participants?
I realize that this is suggestive of AP courses some High Schools offer as electives at present and that the resistance to change from a mostly performance based elective (choir, Band, Orch.) would requrie a major change in the way music is and has been taught in public schools since Boston, MA in the late 1800s. The national standards that have been out there some 10 yrs now are mostly ignored in preference to pleasing the athletic bands, and minimal public offerings of concert performance.
Thanks all for you comments in advance.