• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach Chorale "Wie schoen leuchtet der Morgenstern"

Share/Bookmark

Bach Chorale "Wie schoen leuchtet der Morgenstern"

A (very) quick rendition of Bach's Chorale n. 278 for GPO strings. Sorry for the inaccuracies, but it's just a simple test for EQing GPO strings to reduce the digital alisaing.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Re: Bach Chorale "Wie schoen leuchtet der Morgenstern"

Hi, Coqui

This is sounding very good - You said it's a (very) quick rendering. Well, it sounds like you've taken some loving care on it, so it doesn't sound ragged really.

But I don't understand what you state as the reason for the test. There shouldn't be any phasing or digital aliasing with the GPO strings if you're aren't trying to make the same samples play at the same time. And if there were such artifacts, EQ wouldn't be the way to totally fix such a problem - it could disguise a bit though.

Hmm, --I wonder why you think aliasing is a given problem with these strings--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Coqui,

This is a lovely work by Bach and of course nicely enahnced by the GPO strings. I too am a bit curious about the question of aliasing. There really should be none, I have not heard any issues and I have been using them them in works for over a year now.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I tried to get rid of some unpleasant formants around 5000-7000 Hz (see also this thread), that lends to the strings sound a slight sinthy sound, and get a warmer sound.

Here you can listen to the first Chorale verse with EQ, and here is the same excerpt without EQ.

Too much high shelving will result in a somber sound, though. A compromise is hard to find.

The difference can be even better appreciated here (EQ ON), and here (EQ OFF).
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Very nicely done, Coqui!

My ears may not be the best, but I thought the
    sound on this was quite good... though perhaps
    the strings might have been slightly brighter?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum