• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano and Violin Duet

Share/Bookmark

Piano and Violin Duet

Thanks to Randy, I am starting to see how K2 works with Sibelius. Not bad for a guy who doesn't use a notation program!!

Earlier I posted a duet for Cello and Flute that I composed for a competition. I composed this one afterwards and liked it better, so I entered this into the competition. There were 30 people signed up for the contest and out of those who submitted entries, I came in 2nd place. The judges took off points for my messy score.

Both instruments are GPO and are straight from Sibelius/K2 to here.

I played this on my keyboard as an improv directly into Sibelius, took out a few notes and added a few more,and then added the violin to make the duet.

Hope you enjoy

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/zu9zye4zvo

All criticisms, suggestions and insults will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Re: Piano and Violin Duet

This isn't exactly my kind of music but I understand it enough to know you have sound and interesting ideas and the the instruments are working well with each other. I think it is well done. It has a lot of tension in it.

Pretty neat you came in second and probably should have come in first.

I tried scoring in a HS music theory class and the teacher said it looked like chicken scratches.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    This isn't exactly my kind of music but I understand it enough to know you have sound and interesting ideas and the the instruments are working well with each other. I think it is well done. It has a lot of tension in it.

Pretty neat you came in second and probably should have come in first.

I tried scoring in a HS music theory class and the teacher said it looked like chicken scratches.

Phil

Thanks Phil

I hope I can say this right without pissing anyone off.

There is a lot of music on this forum that in any other context, I would say the music sucks. Either turn it off or change the station.
    But when I know that someone took the time to work out all of the kinks and spent hours upon hours tweaking with it until it is just right in their eyes, I have gotten a whole different way of viewing the music here.

So when I hear a piece of music that just isn't my type, I try to find something in it I can relate too. This is the reason I enjoy this forum.

I am certain that if you heard this piece on the radio, you wouldn't be able to be quick enough to change the station to suit your taste. Yet here, you go out of your way to not only listen to something like this, but actually leave a nice comment as well. For this I am thankful and glad that I was told about this forum.

Thank you very much for listening and commenting on this. It means a lot!!!

About the score:

There is 1 friend of mine who refuses to look at my scores for fear that he will go blind. Others just say read this book or that. Well I work and go to school full time. That has got to wait.

I have had no training in music either and do all this by the seat of my pants and I don't really have to show anyone a score at this point any way. so......

Thanks again,

Ron

Much, much better sound on this one, Ron!

Quite good, in fact -- nice presence to it, and you've
    got, for my ears, just the right amount of sound treatment
    on it... not too little, and very importantly, not too much.

I enjoyed this piece, Ron. I believe it's by far the best
    I've heard from you... there's a cogency and sense and
    flow to it, plus a certain dramatic urgency and contrast
    and emotive context to it. A good listen, so I must
    dispute your comments in that regard.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Dave

Thank you for the reply!

I get the feeling that this type of music isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Actually I already knew that so I guess I am stating the obvious. I'm thinking that most of the problems I have encountered with my larger works are due to the computer. It all seems to work on the smaller scale works like this. But when I try to get the larger ones to work, everything falls apart.

Well tomorrow I am supposed to get the new computer and hope it will all come together then.
    I am glad you liked this one. I did too so I guess that puts us into a minority.

Thanks again

Ron

Ron,

Even though this is not my cup of tea (a famous quote), I would be interested to know what kind of a competition it was. And by the way, congradulations on a 2nd place prize!!!! That should make you very pleased.

By the way, did the violin smash itself at the end (a little Alice Cooper humor)? I have tried talking several music students into smashing their instruments at the end of their performance. So far no takers

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Ron,

Even though this is not my cup of tea (a famous quote), I would be interested to know what kind of a competition it was. And by the way, congradulations on a 2nd place prize!!!! That should make you very pleased.

By the way, did the violin smash itself at the end (a little Alice Cooper humor)? I have tried talking several music students into smashing their instruments at the end of their performance. So far no takers

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks for the reply Gary. It means alot!!

I guess I should have clarified the competition a little. It was a competition held on another site. My second prize was a well done by a few of the competitors. I was happy with the outcome as there were a number of excellent entries. Most were more tonal as well.

I do envision the violinist taking lighter fluid and soaking his instrument in the last pause he has before going on the final runs and then striking a match to it just as the final note is bowed. Then of course the pianist cranks up a chainsaw and dives into his piano with it. Fun times!!

As a student still, you would be hard pressed to get me to destroy any of my instruments since I know I can not afford to replace them. But if I get invited to Carnegie Hall to perform, I promise you I will destroy anything they wish.

Thanks again for the reply

Ron-+

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Thanks for the reply Gary. It means alot!!

....snip..........

As a student still, you would be hard pressed to get me to destroy any of my instruments since I know I can not afford to replace them. But if I get invited to Carnegie Hall to perform, I promise you I will destroy anything they wish.

Thanks again for the reply

Ron-+
    When to make it to Carnegie Hall let me know and I will buy a front row seat and wear my best fire proof tux and face shield.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thumbs up Re: Piano and Violin Duet

I have to be perfectly honest here Ron, this is not the type of music that makes me reach for the knob to change stations, it's the type that makes me turn up the volume for a closer listen, but then a closer listen doesn't seem to come about, and if i'm not driving at the moment, i somehow end up staring off into space. This has a strange tension that not only catches my interest, but seems to trigger something in my imagination, it pushes some button in my head that taps places and rooms that i have seldom wandered into. I need to study music more indepth to find out just what that is and why. Great work! Thanks for posting, it is magnificent! Congrats on the second placing, should have been first.

David

edit: ok here after about the tenth listen, i can say that i definitely like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    I hope I can say this right without pissing anyone off.

There is a lot of music on this forum that in any other context, I would say the music sucks. Either turn it off or change the station.
    But when I know that someone took the time to work out all of the kinks and spent hours upon hours tweaking with it until it is just right in their eyes, I have gotten a whole different way of viewing the music here.

So when I hear a piece of music that just isn't my type, I try to find something in it I can relate too. This is the reason I enjoy this forum.

I am certain that if you heard this piece on the radio, you wouldn't be able to be quick enough to change the station to suit your taste. Yet here, you go out of your way to not only listen to something like this, but actually leave a nice comment as well. For this I am thankful and glad that I was told about this forum.

Thank you very much for listening and commenting on this. It means a lot!!!

About the score:

There is 1 friend of mine who refuses to look at my scores for fear that he will go blind. Others just say read this book or that. Well I work and go to school full time. That has got to wait.

I have had no training in music either and do all this by the seat of my pants and I don't really have to show anyone a score at this point any way. so......
    Ron,

It almost goes without saying that beauty is in the ear of the beholder; and one of the very positive aspects of this forum is that it has obviously has served to broaden the musical horizons of many who frequent it... to find that beauty in unexpected forms. "Hours upon hours tweaking" does not a masterpiece make (I'm sure it took at least a few hours to put together a Yugo... but you're too young to remember those), but the very basic idea here is to encourage and perhaps gently prod -- and to fearlessly expose one's own work to our own little mass of humanity.

Now on to your piece... I thought it was just extremely well-done; certainly worthy of recognition in the contest you entered. You had some really cool harmonic and melodic surpises in the interplay between piano and violin, and rhythmically it just chugged right along for its entirety. A really well-conceived piece. Congratulations!

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast