• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mozart's Magic Flute Overture

Share/Bookmark

Mozart's Magic Flute Overture

This is an all GPO render from Noteworthy Composer via GPO Studio. There are 48 different instrument patches in the final mix, but I did that by rendering the score twice with two different orchestra setups in GPO Studio, with 24 instruments per pass. This gave me two dry wave files which were essentially two different orchestras playing the same score in synch with each other. I mixed these together in Reaper and added impulse "ReaVerb" from St. Nicolaes Church.

Total work time from printed score to final render, 34 hours.

Here's the link to the MP3. It's 7 minutes 12 seconds, and 13.2 MB.

For general guidance I used a Deutsche Grammophon recording (Berliner Philharminker, Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin, Herbert von Karajan conducting).

There are still some flaws, among them they annoying machine gun effect in the last few measures. I'm working on that, but I'm not quite sure how to fix it.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: Mozart's Magic Flute Overture

The ouverture to my favorite Mozart opera ! You did a wonderful job on this, in such a short time !! I enjoyed listening to this again. Thank you !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi Gary

I have not heard the Magic Flute for quite a while. Thanks for bringing this piece to my ears again. I thought that you did a great job in rendering this classic. Only 34 hours - you must work like a demon

As far as I can tell, the machine gun effect can be controlled by using the var1 and var2 controllers, or using the tremolo strings patches instead of repeated notes. I'm not sure how Noteworthy handles things, but perhaps you can either insert a patch/channel change or hidden keyswitch notes on those couple of tremoloed sections. I would expand a bit more, but I don't have the score to see what is happening.

The only comment of criticism that I have to make is a couple of sudden jumps in volume are a bit harsh at the beginning. These are at 26" and again at 38" listening time (I don't have the score, so can;t tell you what measures they occur at). The tail end of a quiet note gets a jump in volume at those two occasions.

Hope these comments are of use

Thanks for the listen, and well done.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

WOW-Gary! Incredible. HOW you managed to do this in just 34 hours is beyond my comprehension.

Your sophisticated understanding of music envelops and cradles the Mozart score like a sure hand holding a priceless, rare and delicate piece of glass.

Daz's sensitive ears picked up on and accurately described those volume flaws towards the opening. He's exactly right, that the tail end of quieter notes are suddenly boosted before the volume jump. Your volume work on the .wav was just done a split second too early.

The suggestion for heavier use of Var 1 and 2 to avoid that machine gun effect on the repeated notes towards the end is good advice. I wouldn't use the tremolo patches, they aren't precise or strong enough for what's been scored. One method that also helps in a DAW is for the repeated notes to be fuzzied up on their entrances, so they aren't so perfectly accurate.

Super fine job which made me picture how dumbfounded Amadeus would be to hear his masterful work emitting from a computer this way.

Hats off to you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Gary
    Real nice work......Hummm just 34 hours....Well, I must say that I think you did a wonderful job on this......never mind the fact that Mozart is one of my most fav... compsers.....and that I was (in college) lucky enought to be in the "CHORUS" (the ONLY group who would want a voice such as mine) part of Cosi fan Tutti........and that Amadus is one of my Fav.... movies.....Humm do I see a pattern here??????
    Any way.....Nice job.....the only critique I have for you is that the end of the composition is kind of chopped off.......the only reason I noticed this is because it is the same thing I did to my Satie transcription....I noticed after it was all done........Oh well.........next time I will leave the reverb tail on........kind of like shrimp.....

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

LouisD: Thanks for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by darrob
    Hi Gary

I have not heard the Magic Flute for quite a while. Thanks for bringing this piece to my ears again. I thought that you did a great job in rendering this classic. Only 34 hours - you must work like a demon

As far as I can tell, the machine gun effect can be controlled by using the var1 and var2 controllers, or using the tremolo strings patches instead of repeated notes. ....

The only comment of criticism that I have to make is a couple of sudden jumps in volume are a bit harsh at the beginning. These are at 26" and again at 38" listening time (I don't have the score, so can;t tell you what measures they occur at). The tail end of a quiet note gets a jump in volume at those two occasions.

Hope these comments are of use

Thanks for the listen, and well done.

Cheers...

Daz :0)
    Thanks for the comments. I tried using tremolo (as written in the score) but the sampled trem is not pronounced enough to work in those passages.

Thanks for pointing out those sudden volume jumps. I needed to let it sit for a couple of days and then go back to it with a fresh ear. I jumped the gun on my CC1 controllers there.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    WOW-Gary! Incredible. HOW you managed to do this in just 34 hours is beyond my comprehension.

Your sophisticated understanding of music envelops and cradles the Mozart score like a sure hand holding a priceless, rare and delicate piece of glass.

Daz's sensitive ears picked up on and accurately described those volume flaws towards the opening. He's exactly right, that the tail end of quieter notes are suddenly boosted before the volume jump. Your volume work on the .wav was just done a split second too early.

The suggestion for heavier use of Var 1 and 2 to avoid that machine gun effect on the repeated notes towards the end is good advice. I wouldn't use the tremolo patches, they aren't precise or strong enough for what's been scored. One method that also helps in a DAW is for the repeated notes to be fuzzied up on their entrances, so they aren't so perfectly accurate.

Super fine job which made me picture how dumbfounded Amadeus would be to hear his masterful work emitting from a computer this way.

Hats off to you!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for the kind remarks Randy. Those volume glitches are misplaced CC1 controlelrs in the score. I didn't fiddle with volume in wav file.

I'll try the variability controllers. I haven't learned how to use those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by truckermusic
    Gary
    Real nice work......Hummm just 34 hours....Well, I must say that I think you did a wonderful job on this......never mind the fact that Mozart is one of my most fav... compsers.....and that I was (in college) lucky enought to be in the "CHORUS" (the ONLY group who would want a voice such as mine) part of Cosi fan Tutti........and that Amadus is one of my Fav.... movies.....Humm do I see a pattern here??????
    Any way.....Nice job.....the only critique I have for you is that the end of the composition is kind of chopped off.......the only reason I noticed this is because it is the same thing I did to my Satie transcription....I noticed after it was all done........Oh well.........next time I will leave the reverb tail on........kind of like shrimp.....

Cliff
    Thanks for those comments. Yes, you're right, the note endings are too abrupt at the end. Also I noticed the same problem at the end of the adagio intro section, but I don't think it's reverb. I think it got chopped off in the original dry wave file before I applied reverb. I'll have to investigate that.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Fiziwig:
    Wow! That explanation of what all you did almost scared me off from listeneing as I did not understand a word of it. What you do is amazing and I want to know HOW you did it. Do you enter each part separately in real time? Do you put notes in as I do with Finale and then play it back? Have you had an orchestration class? I can write a score in a very short time but it takes me forever listening over and over to do the "tweaking" by ear.
    As I said before--Wow!

sos

I couldn't do that in 34 hours with a gun to my head... rofl.

On the overall, a darned nice interpretation on this, Gary;
    sprited, and for my liking, right on the mark... vigorous and
    well paced, with real drive and energy to it.

Technically, I think I might have a look at the tail on that
    reverb... seems to really hang in some places where there's
    exposed open space.

On the dreaded machine gun... in notation, usually I'll subtly
    vary the dynamics across repeated notes... which seems to
    go far in ameliorating it.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary

I have never been a fan of the opera. There are some overtures by Puccinni that I really enjoy and when I decided finally that I would make myself listen to an entire opera, PBS was showing Magic Flute. Well I taped it in case I ...I don't know why I taped it. The bottom line is that I almost enjoyed it. The overtyure on the other hand is good. I still like some of Puccinni's better, but I now have one full opera in my library. So I can honestly say that of all the operas I have seen in their entirety, I liked Magic Flute the best.

It sure took a lot of words to say that!!! lol

I would enjoy opera a lot more if there was no singing!!!! Makes sense right?

Regardless, you have taken this classic and done a fine job of rendering it.

I looked in the manual for section 9.7 as you said and found my PDF file of the manual for reaper has only section 9.3 then goes to 10. I tried to find the downloads you mentioned and might of, I am not sure. MAybe if you can tell me what chapter heading to look under I can be sure. No rush!!!!

I look forward to hearing more

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Mozart's Magic Flute Overture

Well aside from that volume jump at the begining and the hanging tails that was mentioned but i didn't really hear, it sounds like you did a tremendously great job on this. I think the effect you were trying to achieve by the 2 full orchestras, came out very well, it sounded very powerfull. Nice work Gary, very impressive, and i'm not talking about the remarkable speed you pullled this off either. Thanks for posting an enjoyable performance.

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast