• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pause For Thought

Share/Bookmark

Talking Pause For Thought

Hey everyone i haven't posted here for a while so i found this short piano piece called 'Pause For Thought' using GPO Steinway.
    It's nothing special i was just testing Sustain and other controls.

Any thoughts, comments are welcome as usual.
    Regards
    Dan.
    ( click on title of piece for link)
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Re: Pause For Thought

The sustain works well, but it seems to cut off real fast. I guess if that is what you want.

Ron

The sustain pedal's a little tricky with most samples, since
    they treat it like an on-off switch... there or it isn't. That
    makes it all the more crucial to get it at just the right point,
    so unwanted "carries" in the harmony do not occur.

In a real piano (and in the upcoming Garritan Authorized
    Steinway, I believe), pedaling is proportional.. with infinite
    gradations between full pedal-down and pedal-up.

Pianists spend years really mastering pedal technique; and
    so, too, it does take some practice with samples.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks guys for your comments i expect the Steinway library will be my next purchase!!!!

Kind regards
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

It's doing the same thing it was doing last night, not playing the music!

This esnips site was where you could click "cancel" on the message that pops up saying Safari can't find plugin, then click the "get widgets" and it would start playing in a widget that looks kinda like a player.

Now it gives you a widget that looks like a blender, and clicking either one of it's two buttons doesn't work, clicking the title of the song doesn't work, and changing to a different widget makes it all go blank.

I wish esnips would correct their problems or just go away. i recommend http://www.box.net .

I agree with previous comments about pedalling - it can be tricky at first to "catch" the notes you want to sustain, but not let them crash into the next harmony. I used to spend quite a long time with my piano students teaching them the basic coordination of hand and foot for syncopated pedaling.

(Syncopated pedaling is accomplished by raising and quickly re-depressing the pedal just as, or just after, notes are struck, but before the keys are released. This overlapping pedal technique allows for a seamless
    legato effect.)

As a piece, it was well worth listening to. I'd love to hear it played on the Steinway (can't WAIT to get one!).

Thanks for sharing.
    Owen

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent
    I agree with previous comments about pedalling - it can be tricky at first to "catch" the notes you want to sustain, but not let them crash into the next harmony. I used to spend quite a long time with my piano students teaching them the basic coordination of hand and foot for syncopated pedaling.

(Syncopated pedaling is accomplished by raising and quickly re-depressing the pedal just as, or just after, notes are struck, but before the keys are released. This overlapping pedal technique allows for a seamless
    legato effect.)

Same here! For my piano students, handling the pedal skills is more complicated then everything else. Most of them always think that they must press the pedal when they are pressing the keys (which obviously emphasizes hammers' attack, thus producing some unpleasant sound effects). It's hard to teach them that syncopated pedaling is the way to go, in order to produce the most intimate legato sound that piano works require.

Best regards.

Well shoot, Dan - I can't hear the post. Every time up until this, at Esnips I've been able to preview the widget and play a file there. I've even passed that tip on several times here on the Forum for people like me who can't get their regular player to work - But now they've changed the widgets and they don't preview the way they used to.

I'm with David "Leaf" - Esnips has always been a pain in the back side. Try Box - http://www.box.net Much better site for posting music.

Until this is somewhere else, I cant hear it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum