• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best Piano Virtual Instrument / Sampler?

Share/Bookmark

Best Piano Virtual Instrument / Sampler?

Hello!

I have just purchased the Ivory Grand pianos and really dissapointed with them to the point of wanting to return them! I am really looking for a realistic piano virtual instrument/samples with character.

I am primarily writing film music and I have the Steinway that comes with the EWGOLDXP, Malmsjo and the Gigapiano but they all seem to lack in realism somewhere for contemporary recordings.

Anyone for better suggestions?

George

Re: Best Piano Virtual Instrument / Sampler?

Sound on Sound gave a near-perfect review of Dan Dean's new Bluthner piano VI.

I've found DD's stuff to be absolutely top-notch!

The Garritan Authorized Steinway will be debuting soon, and if you're willing to wait a little while, I think it may be your answer.

If you can't wait, have you looked at pianoteq?

What type of sound\micing distance do you want?
    There are several good piano vsti's: Both TruePianos and PianoTeq offer a free demo that you can download. You might also check out the Plugsounds Volume 1 for piano and the ArtVista piano.

Quote Originally Posted by gi0rgi0o
    Hello!

I have just purchased the Ivory Grand pianos and really dissapointed with them to the point of wanting to return them! George
    Hi George -- Ivory is being used in many, many film scores. Before discarding it, suggest you consider the Distant Concert D 10 which has 10 velocity layers. I like that the best because its 10 velocity layers make it relatively expressive and I like a darker sound than the other sample sets I've heard. I also use the "timber" dial to dial it darker still. I also set the perspective to "audience" and generally play with the parameters. I don't use the chorus or any of that stuff (under effects) so you might check that.

I have a 7' Steinway in my studio but I almost never record it for film work unless it's the featured instrument, like a sonata or something (I scored a movie that had a piano player as a main character, so for that, obviously...). Even for brief but prominent passages that are for major budget recording it is hard to beat for convenience.

I prefer Ivory to any other samples I've heard, but not the 'standard' Steinway that is in the sample sets.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by gi0rgi0o
    I have just purchased the Ivory Grand pianos and really dissapointed with them to the point of wanting to return them! I am really looking for a realistic piano virtual instrument/samples with character.
    What kind of reverb are you using?

I'll never forget the momentary sense of panic I felt when I first started playing with the VSL library that I had purchased. The instruments sounded so... so dead, so flat... so lifeless... and they were so expensive.....

I soon realized that this was because they were so "perfectly" recorded. They sounded exactly like the instrument but, without an appropriate reverb added, they didn't sound they way I would hear them in a real room. The minute I placed the instruments in a GigaPulse (convolution reverb) "virtual space," everything came to life beautifully.

This may or may not be what you meant when you wrote that Ivory didn't sound "realistic" or was lacking of "character" (I've never heard it, so I cannot say) but I thought I'd mention it as a possible source of your dissatisfaction...

For piano, I use SampleTekk's TBO primarily... I think it's a gorgeous lib.

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Lightbulb Re: Best Piano Virtual Instrument / Sampler?

Hi, George!

What "character" are you looking for in a piano? You could elaborate on that one.

Uprights have the character you might be looking for. My upright vsti (I think it is one of the few) will be released soon... Let me know if you are interested.

Bluthner. Run don't walk. If you you need to, skip a few meals, save a few bucks and buy it. Your CPU will thank you.
    Keith

I agree with Keith. The Bluthner is a fabulous library. What an accomplishment. Low on CPU resources and the sound is convincing. It plays like a real piano. By far, my favorite piano library.

Go Back to forum