• Register
  • Help

Topic: Melodies Update

Melodies Update

So I think I've decided to call this "Memories: A Medly from the Past." I've updated the file to include the newly finished First transition and second movement. The first transition is based off of the melody I introduced in the prelude at 0:58 and a counter melody specifically for this transition.

The second movement is based off of (it's amazing how difficult it is to type off of) a melody from my first, what I consider long, orchestral work, which was based on a description of 5 characters of a story. The melody here is describing a character who is lively, but has a bit of a dark side. Hope you like it!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=hi

By the way, in case it wasn't clear, this file includes the original post for this song, the Prelude and the First Movement.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Melodies Update

Sounds like you have great command of your instruments Michael. This is very good cinematic writing and execution, very well done.

There was just one place i think around 4.20 if i recall correctly, where the first time it changed to a very soft passage, something sounded like the trasnition there from loud to soft could be maybe tweaked some more to make the transition flow more smoothly.

But that could be just a matter of taste, everything else sounded great, overall great sounding score. Thanks for posting this, looking forward to hearing more

edit: i listened to it again and it isn't so much the transition itself but the fade that precedes it, at around 415, 418. it sounded like it didn't fade evenly and had a jump in it... or i guess it wouldn't be a jump (going down), would be a fall?

Re: Melodies Update

I thought I posted on this last night when I first listened to it. I guess I might be losing my Memory.

Regardless it is a very well done piece.

This deserves a listen from the forum members. I greatly enjoyed this piece! I loved how the piano was used to provide background drama/color. At points, the woodwinds were a little too loud for the mix - but overall - a wonderful composition!!!!

I can't type "off of" without screwing it up, either... lol.
    Why is that?

An interesting mix of substance and reflection, sanyarem;
    at points highly cinematic, at others heraldic, at others
    deeply meditative... a broadly varied journey, well done!

My best,

Once again, I admire your orchestration. Well done!

The piano solo had maybe a bit too much reverb for my taste, but I know that reverb is one of those highly subjective things. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Very enjoyable listen.

Wow, just when I think this thread is gone for good, someone else posts something and brings it back to the front page. Thanks for your comments everyone, they are very helpful, though, I probably won't get to looking into and editing this piece (with your suggestions in mind) until it is completely done. For a quick update...I have basically finished the third transition and am getting elbow-deep into the third movement. Thanks again!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum