• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Shchedrin - Prelude and Fugue #1

Share/Bookmark

Shchedrin - Prelude and Fugue #1

Greetings!

After a LONG time away from this board, I give you my latest - Rodion Shchedrin's Prelude and Fugue #1 in C. This is the GPO Steinway, rendered from a well-marked score in Finale 2006. Ambiance is the dry "parlor" setting, just for RBowser

Shchedrin wrote the 24 P+F after hearing Shostakovich's cycle... while not as profound as Shostakovich, Shchedrin's are nevertheless interesting and well-crafted pieces. At one time there was a recording available of the set made by the composer, but it is currently unavailable.

Wikipedia gives a bit of information about the composer

HERE is the download link...

Enjoy!

Re: Shchedrin - Prelude and Fugue #1

Rodion Shchedrin! Wow, a blast from the past for me,
    Jonathan. One of his symphonies (second, I think) was
    one of the first influences that brought me to orchestral
    music... 'way back in the sixties, listening on an old
    shortwave set to a performance of it via Radio Moscow.

I've never heard any of his piano music prior to this,
    though, my friend. Thank you for this one!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: Shchedrin - Prelude and Fugue #1

Very nice piano Jonathan. i love it when someone on this forum post a work from an elderly composer i had not heard of before. Love this piano work, I will have to look into listening to some of his other works if ever possible. Thanks for also posting the info on Shchedrin.

David

DAVID!

I've heard a few of Shchedrin's works - doesn't surprise me that he was an influence on you - there are some similarities the the spirit of your works to his.

In looking through the "24" I've become aware that the final P+F is an inverted version of #1... I don't think that practice has carried throughout the entire set, but I did get a chuckle... reminided me a bit of Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis, where he writes the concluding movement as an exact retrograde of the first mvt... (and it makes musical sense!)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Rodion Shchedrin! Wow, a blast from the past for me,
    Jonathan. One of his symphonies (second, I think) was
    one of the first influences that brought me to orchestral
    music... 'way back in the sixties, listening on an old
    shortwave set to a performance of it via Radio Moscow.

I've never heard any of his piano music prior to this,
    though, my friend. Thank you for this one!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Not a name I hear every day. OK, not a name I’ve heard of before. I really liked this – I should hunt out some more of his music.

I recently spent a little time listening to Shostakovich’s preludes and fugues (it’s all I listen to for a week) and I can understand how somebody could be inspired on listening.

Thanks for the introduction to Shchedrin’s music.
    Trent P. McDonald

I must admit I also have never heard of Rodion Shchedrin before now. But he definately has some interesting music. Thanks for sharing this.
    Ron

Thanks for introducing me to this composer - I'd never heard of him either. I love Shostakovich's Ps and Fs, and could see me really getting to like Shchedrin as well.

Listening to some clips of his music just now, his style sure has changed a lot in his more advanced years.

Nice perfomance of this work - thanks.

Owen

Leaf and Rolifer....

Glad to introduce you to an unfamiliar composer!

Trent and englishgent - glad you enjoyed this (and yes, the Shostakovich P+F works are FINE pieces - I enjoy them as well!)

<Jonathan crawls back under his rock, once more in search of obscuria to share with the forum....>

Jon,

As always, you entertain and provide the most seasoned listener with something rarely heard. Excellent work on this. I'd love to hear you do some of these pieces with the new Steinway, when it comes out.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Hi, giwro_jon - It's really great to see you back here with something for us to hear.

Interesting piece by a composer I also am not familiar with.

Hmmm, certainly a good performance, and of music which leaves me cold and uninvolved. Hence the vague "interesting" reaction. lol.

hehe, thanks for the nod to me in your post. I do recall the topic from your previous posts, about varying tastes in reverb. This isn't a "dry" setting, it's a "small" setting - hence, Parlor. Wetness/dryness refers to the amount of a given reverb's intensity in a mix. I'd call this a "wet" use of the Parlor, so that the room is very present, very heard in the recording, placing the listener at the farthest point away from the piano as is possible in that small venue. Sounded rather good though.

Thanks for the - Interesting post.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast