• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is there a trend for bad music in car commercials??

Share/Bookmark

Is there a trend for bad music in car commercials??

Is it just me, or does it seem like every car commerical out there is competing to see who has the worse music... It seems that it's being performed by a garage band, that doesn't quite know how to play yet, and it's some non-sensical song about nothing... and then you hear another car commercial and it's a worse version of that same thing...

Am I the only person noticing this or is this the current trend in car commercials on tv??

Re: Is there a trend for bad music in car commercials??

I don't know. I don't really sit through too many commercial breaks. But in the last couple of years, the only times that the music on a commercial has turned my head, and pulled my attention back to the TV, it's turned out to be a car commercial.

One occasion was Martin Grech's 'Open Heart Zoo,' which was such a stunning track that I had to instantly find out what it was and buy the album. Another was the commercial where all the sounds of the car are 'sung' by a choir. Again I just had to hunt it down and buy the score.

It's just a shame for the manufacturers that I still haven't got a clue what car was being advertised by either piece.

I agree with you tradivoro. It seems that nowadays every car tv spot must have some garage band music like its soundtrack. I don't like that trend at all...
    Although sometimes, we are lucky enough to enjoy a spot like that of Audi A5. Particularly, I love it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjpW-dar2w
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

I love Audi 5 as well.

The rest are rubbish... But what can you do really? (Get a job to a car ad is the anwer, perhaps? )

Dustin OHalloran from the audi ad is a talent. Worth a listen at dustinohalloran.com. 'Simple', elegant sophisticated writing. Stuff on his website is better, IMHO.

Agree with the rest, for sure.

There has been a trend for 60s-70s influenced vocal tracks on adverts here in the UK for a while and it finally seems to be changing.

There are some pretty poor music slots on adds at the moment.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

There's a trend for bad music in most commercials. Hell, there's a trend for bad music, period.

D

Well, I'm glad other people have noticed... Me, I'm just the opposite... I watch the commercials more than the show, because there's a greater chance to do music for a commercial than for a show... So, I"m hearing this stuff and I'm saying huh??

P.S., I gotta check out the audi commercial... I'm sure once I see it I'll say oh yes, but I can't see it right now...

I presently live in Michigan and have had the opportunity to work on design projects for a lot of car companies (The entire GM family, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Toyota, etc) I thought that these guys would know good taste from bad but was suprised to find out that is not the case. Most of the guys that run these companies are old mega rich white bread dudes who wouldn't know cool if it bit 'em in the bum. HAnding out tons of cash to jaded agencies to make their piece of junk cars sell faster so that they can get another bonus!

Beware Marketing rabt follows:

The auto industry, like a lot of industry, is based on empty flashy marketing and hype. One of the trends in marketing now is to get the consumer to fall in love with the culture of the company. Sell the culture not the product. Meaning that if you think Apple is cool, and cool people work there, and those cool people are getting layed way more than you are, you'll go to the Apple store and hang out (eventually buying something)

Bad music, pissy models with attitudes, same old tinted footage edited so fast you feel yer head spinnin' ala Linda Blair, Apple with an edge, Apple but conservative, Apple but from outer space... Apple... but not Apple, We've seen and heard it all gents!

Jaded D
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Same here in Germany...... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum