• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores


  2. #2

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    What I'd like to see is a "no artist trend" for film scores.

    That is, no or less music.

    Mainstream films are over-saturated with music. It gives me a headache.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    What I'd like to see is a "no artist trend" for film scores.

    That is, no or less music.

    Mainstream films are over-saturated with music. It gives me a headache.
    Filmscores are not the same as film soundtracks. One artist soundtracks are nothing new. Simon and Garfunkel for instance for The Graduate by Mike Nichols in 1967 I believe.

    Film scores have generally always been one composer - unless there's been a total fcuk -up along the line.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    656

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    The thing is not to have songs at all in a movie, and certainly not by people who basically aren't that good, but are the popular "artist" at the time... I mean, just because you make noises with your mouth and bang on a guitar doesn't make you a singer/songwriter... But nevertheless, many have made a career out of exactly that, and garnered high praise... I say, leave films to instrumental music and leave these pop people out of it...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    The thing is not to have songs at all in a movie, and certainly not by people who basically aren't that good, but are the popular "artist" at the time... I mean, just because you make noises with your mouth and bang on a guitar doesn't make you a singer/songwriter... But nevertheless, many have made a career out of exactly that, and garnered high praise... I say, leave films to instrumental music and leave these pop people out of it...
    I understand what you mean because by and large I would agree with that - BUT - The Graduate for example was a superb soundtrack, especially at the time and the place. So while most of the time a crappy film tries to rescue itself with crap music designed to appeal mostly to a crappy audience - every now and again you may get something as good as The Graduate.

    I'm trying to think of some other soundtrack films by a single artist that are really good and enhance the film.

    Edit: I remember going to the cinema to watch a film called Zabriski Point year ago and the soundtrack was done by Pink Floyd - and while film was OKish for the time - the soundtrack was crap. And I am a big fan of of Pink Floyd.

    Edit II: Ferris Buellers Day Off - that was a prrrrrrretty good soundtrack. Can't see how that film could have been any better with a filmscore.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    656

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I understand what you mean because by and large I would agree with that - BUT - The Graduate for example was a superb soundtrack, especially at the time and the place. So while most of the time a crappy film tries to rescue itself with crap music designed to appeal mostly to a crappy audience - every now and again you may get something as good as The Graduate.

    Edit II: Ferris Buellers Day Off - that was a prrrrrrretty good soundtrack. Can't see how that film could have been any better with a filmscore.
    Yes, that's because it was Paul Simon... Paul Simon is not a guy making noises with his mouth banging on a guitar, he's one of America's greatest songwriters, so yes, that works very well... Give the same job to another very famous and overrated songwriter who shall remain nameless and it would have been a disaster...

    I will have to check out the Ferris movie....

  7. #7

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I understand what you mean because by and large I would agree with that - BUT - The Graduate for example was a superb soundtrack, especially at the time and the place. So while most of the time a crappy film tries to rescue itself with crap music designed to appeal mostly to a crappy audience - every now and again you may get something as good as The Graduate.
    .
    I agree this was always a good soundtrack, but I thought I learned in a film class, that the Buck Henry's choice for this film as mainly, financial? Similarly it was financial for 'Easy Rider'
    Sincerely,


    Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    656

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    I agree this was always a good soundtrack, but I thought I learned in a film class, that the Buck Henry's choice for this film as mainly, financial? Similarly it was financial for 'Easy Rider'
    I'm sure that financial played a large part, but it was also the sign of the times, that people were doing "cool and groovy" movies and having the cool music of the day... So you got cheap and groovy...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: USA Today Article: One artist trend for film scores

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    I agree this was always a good soundtrack, but I thought I learned in a film class, that the Buck Henry's choice for this film as mainly, financial? Similarly it was financial for 'Easy Rider'
    Well Johnny, maybe it was mainly financial.

    Yeah - I forgot Easy Rider. That worked, especially the Jimi Hendrix track.

    Sidebar: When we all trouped into the cinema in the late 60's to see Easy Rider, I sort of have to admit we were a little chemically worse for wear in preparation for this movie. Unbeknown to us, our small town local cinema decided to put on a Hammer Horror before Easy Rider as the support - as was the way of it in those days. It was a Peter Cushing spectacular about removing pituitary glands and transplanting them. Can you imagine dealing with that, and then watching Easy Rider.

    Nevertheless, this was a good soundtrack, although the film was stolen by Jack Nicholson.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •