• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strad and Grofiller in orchestral mix

Share/Bookmark

Strad and Grofiller in orchestral mix

Hi,

I'm after impressions about using the Strad and Grofiller in an orchestral mix. I dont own either as yet.

I know the insturments are good in themselves - and I'm not asking about that.

Do any of you use the Strad/and or Grofiller to add expression to orchestral parts? I currently mainly use a mix of Kirk Hunter, Project Sam and True Strike. I imagine it could work pretty well, but what are your experiences and technques? Also, any short audio demos of existing tracks would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    G.

Re: Strad and Grofiller in orchestral mix

They do very, very well. But they need some careful handling as if you are playing the instrument yourself. For an example: see the link below and go to Romance for Violin. I made this with the help of Randy Bowser.

Raymond

You can give these a listen, if it will help. I'm using the Strad as concertmaster in my Concerto Project. Here's a clip from the beginning (orchestra enters about halfway through).

Concerto No. 2 beginning, full mix

And here are just the strings:

Concerto No. 2, beginning, strings only

Both excerpts use Vienna Chamber Strings as my main library, but each section is layered with several solo strings from GPO, and the Strad as concertmaster. Now that I have the Gofriller cello, I plan to add it to the cello section when I have time to get back to it.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thumbs up Re: Strad and Grofiller in orchestral mix

...and please listen to this one:

J.S. Bach, Vivace, double Violin Concerto in D minor

made by 2 Stradi, Gofriller, and a selection of Garritan GPO and KH Emerald strings.

Or this one:

W.A. Mozart Eine Kleine Nacht Musik

It's just a draft in progress, made blending the 2 Stradi and the Gofriller with VSL Chamber Strings: VSL has a nice sound, but the realistic and live attacks are by Stradi and Gofriller...they inflate Life in the very clean, but cold and flat Vienna Library sound.

Don't miss Stradivari and Gofriller. It's a realism maker, full stop, for every strings mix.

Raymond - Thank you for posting your Romance, youve obviously got a lot of experience tweaking/performing the Strad. Very nice piece too!

Dan - great example thanks, and I can definitely hear how the Garritan solos warm up the Vienna strings. Very nice composition too. Do you have it posted in full somewhere?

Fabio- wow the Strad lends a very authentic baroque, crisp edge to the Bach. BTW one of my fav Bach orchestral pieces. Do you mind me asking what your doing there regarding convolution? I mean, regarding how youre handling the solo instruments with the Emerald strings.

In the Mozart, would I be right in thinking I can hear the Strad more prominently at the end of longer notes in the 1st violins?

Thanks again everyone.

Smile Re: Strad and Grofiller in orchestral mix

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01

Fabio- wow the Strad lends a very authentic baroque, crisp edge to the Bach. BTW one of my fav Bach orchestral pieces. Do you mind me asking what your doing there regarding convolution? I mean, regarding how youre handling the solo instruments with the Emerald strings.

In the Mozart, would I be right in thinking I can hear the Strad more prominently at the end of longer notes in the 1st violins?

Thanks again everyone.
    Bach Convolution:
    Just Kontakt 2 convolution with Medium Rooms/Chamber Big default NI preset, a very little predelay. It is an insert of the output main Kontact 2 stereo channels.

All the instruments (KH Chamber strings sections and Stradi 1.08 and Stradi 2.02 + Gofriller cello), are mixed and panned in Kontakt, before convolution. The same for GPO solo Bass and solo viola, and Harpsichord.
    Finally a little of channel automation in Cubase, to enphasize dynamics.

Mozart mix:
    yes not finished yet. VSL Chamber strings have very different envelopes, and controller responses, so I'm still experimenting ways to blend it (playing with Vibrato and velocity layer crossfades). Sometime the dynamics are unbalanced during the notes, so the Stradi is too in evidence or too hidden, or vibrato not well aligned.
    But the sound seems to me already surprisingly good, after a very little tweaking. We can do it better, as Dan Powers made very well.

DP Dan, a forum member, Faithful Garritanist and execellent sound engineer, did an amazing rendering of Beethoven 5th, using only String solos (Stradi and Gofriller) and GPO: if you find it in the forum or demo DB, listen to it.

Thanks Fabio for posting a rendering in progress (already well under way) which is very interesting for me to hear - we normally only hear your polished gems! I remember DPDAN's Beethoven and will definitely give it another listen if its still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    - great example thanks, and I can definitely hear how the Garritan solos warm up the Vienna strings. Very nice composition too. Do you have it posted in full somewhere?
    Glad you like it.

No, the full piece isn't currently posted anywhere, but it will be eventually.

After I wrote it a couple of years ago, I posted a demo which was basically just Finale's output through GPO (by way of Sonar for a little tweak here and there). Wasn't terribly good. The version in progress is much more in depth, and is based on performance rather than notation output.

It's slow going since paying gigs have to take priority. Hopefully I'll be done in a decade or two.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    It's slow going since paying gigs have to take priority. Hopefully I'll be done in a decade or two.
    But we can't wait that long! Punch the rest of that concerto out Dan - its good...

Go Back to forum