• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suitable Video Cards / Configuration for Video Post

Share/Bookmark

Suitable Video Cards / Configuration for Video Post

Hi there.

I have a Nuendo 3 rig which crawls on my current system for doing post. Can anyone recommend a good video card for using with Nuendo for post production?

I am running a P4 - 3.2 ghz with 3gig RAM. The video rendering is slowing down everything.

Perhaps I am using the wrong video format too - it's Microsoft encoded AVI files 320x240.

Thanks.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

Re: Suitable Video Cards / Configuration for Video Post

Powerful video cards whilst good for gaming are NOT good for music production. PCI x Video cards OVER 250megs CAN cause pops and clicks in your audio.

A good rule of thumb is to get something around 128megs. There's good Nvidia cards around for $40.

Just get something that will not be too powerful.

As for your video format, need more info but just about all video cards will play any format file.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I've heard of this problem before (i.e. using the high-performance gaming cards on a DAW), but I've never understood why the problem occurs. Anyone mind elaborating on this?

Cheers!
    ~Ben~

I found my issue.

Nuendo doesn't like multiple FMVs loaded into one session, for some reason the rendering slows down like crazy. i was sound designing for very similar playblasts for a title I was working on and needed the same sound set for each.

I ended up duplicating my sessions and had separate Nuendo projects for each fmv. hopefully this issue has been fixed in Nuendo 4. I know they don't tend to work like this in film but video games is a little more repetitive with the work.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer
    GroovyAudio

Glad to hear it. However, I'd still like to know "why" you shouldn't use a gaming graphics card in your DAW. I mean, if you build a top-of-the-line PC with the purpose of pushing numbers faster than light (slight exaggeration...), I would certainly be tempted to take a break from the audio work at some point and enjoy a good game of Crysis or something!

Anyways, I'd like to understand this better if anyone has something to say about it.

Thanks!
    ~Ben~

Maybe we need to bring in the Mythbusters for this one...

Go Back to forum