• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Wax in friggin ear!

Share/Bookmark

Wax in friggin ear!

My right ear has been plugged for about a week and a half... and I need to deal with some stereo material ASAP. I've had wax plug my ears on and off for most of my life.

Any good ideas for home removal that isn't dangerous? I don't have time to head up to the clinic again.

Re: Wax in friggin ear!

I have used over-the-counter ear wax removal. It consists of drops that sit in the ear for 15 minutes and an ear irrigator to shoot warm water in the ear to (hopefully) clean it out after the wax has been softened.

It has worked sometimes in my case.

Also, my doctor says some of the best stuff to use for clogged ears is flonase/varmyst type stuff.

Good luck.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

I've had the same problem on and off for a long time. I'll notice that my high-end seems rolled off and then I go to my doctor and get them cleaned. He's pulled out a clump as big as a cigarette butt before. I dont know why my ears accumulate like that but they do. Maybe go in and have them checked.

Eric, I've had similar clumps come out at the doctor before.

Thing is, I am dry on cash right now. I need a ghetto solution.

The over-the-counter 'drop' solution is probably your best bet. Stay away from q-tips... I've been using them lately, and while they can work, they're abrasive to the inner ear. Just had a doctor's appointment where they said my inner ear didn't look so good and 'Do you use q-tips?' was the first question he asked.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

You ought to check whether you have any allergies. I suffer from plugged ear syndrome myself and wax build-up but my last check-up revealed that I had fluid in the inner ear as a result of allergies. As one other person noted, FLonase will eleviate this. It doesn't work overnight though. Takes a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    The over-the-counter 'drop' solution is probably your best bet. Stay away from q-tips... I've been using them lately, and while they can work, they're abrasive to the inner ear. Just had a doctor's appointment where they said my inner ear didn't look so good and 'Do you use q-tips?' was the first question he asked.
    I agree with Andrew on the q-tips. I purchased some drops from walgreens, real cheap. Worked well for me.Let it set there for a few, and used the washer it came with. Since then no problem. Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    The over-the-counter 'drop' solution is probably your best bet. Stay away from q-tips... I've been using them lately, and while they can work, they're abra,sive to the inner ear. Just had a doctor's appointment where they said my inner ear didn't look so good and 'Do you use q-tips?' was the first question he asked.
    I agree with Andrew on the q-tips. I purchased some drops from walgreens, real cheap. Worked well for me.Let it set there for a few, and used the washer it came with. Since then no problem. Joseph

I would never reccomend anyone stick q-tips or anything else (including fingers) in their ears. It's a great way to damage the delicate thin skin and get infections.

Best way is to get your family doctor wash it out for you. It's not that expensive and the procedure is quick and simple.

At home - you can use olive oil. Pour it into your ear canal - flood it. Let it stay there for a few minutes. Do that for a few days to soften the wax. Then you can either pick it out, or best way is to wash it out (and preferably done by a doctor as it requires the use of a syringe and pointing it in a certain direction - towards the back of the head).

Careful about ear-drops. It may be helpful sometimes. Other times, it makes it worse. There are cases when the drops "melts" the wax, changes the wax shape, then the wax hardens again in the shape that fits your ear canal nicely - which makes the blockage worse.

Go Back to forum