• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Christmas Festival Overture for Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Christmas Festival Overture for Orchestra

Well, it's finished. In 2005, I composed the original piece (Christmas Melody 2005) and meant to get it onto the Christmas CD. About a month ago, I arranged it into a concert band piece (as some of you may remember) that was created for my high school's band to play (we still can't stop slowing down on it ). The topic for the concert band version contained some rather good ideas from members of the forums here so I just couldn't help but try to implement them. For this version, I went back to the original piece and modified it a little bit based on the ideas from these forums. Thank you guys, for I'm now finally satisfied with the piece enough to submit it for the CD.

You can listen to the MP3 below or download it if you wish:

http://musichostr.com/music/25

Colton Provias
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Re: Christmas Festival Overture for Orchestra

C.J.
    You have certainly captured the nuances of the season. It has a real festival atmosphere.
    I was hoping for a little more but if it is an overture, I'll assume that it leads in or sets up a following piece.
    Do have you have student French Horn players with the range you call for?
    Whew!

sos

I think I did hear the french horn player (note, only 1 in my school's band) hit the high C's the other day while playing the piece. Luckily, she's being supported by the alto saxes in the concert version as we have about 4-6 alto saxes as compared to the 1 french horn.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Very nice. It manages to capture the feeling of the season without falling back on any cliche themes associated with Christmas.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Colton,

Very nice piece, good theme and presentation. Not sure I would think of writing a horn that high however. This would be fun to hear with the CMB library in the concert band version.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Congratulations C J! This is a very nice Festive Overture and in te spirit of the season. I love the horn part! It takes an excellent player to handle it. I know it can be done because I have written pieces that have taken my horn players to that heighth and maybe beyond. If you ever get a chance listen to the sound track from an old movie, "The Wind and the Lion". That piece influenced me to go ahead and write for horns up in there altissimo range. It didn't hurt knowing the horn player who recorded it either . He was able to help me understand what a good player can do.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi, Colton

Really neat Christmas composition which perfectly fits the lighter, festive mood of the holiday the way we traditionally think of it. Great! Horns up in the stratosphere--you bet! That's where the goose-pimple effect in a lot of film scoring comes from!

At the music site, you mention that this is the full piece being put on the Garritan Christmas CD. Seems to me it would certainly be a good track for that album, but the deadline for submissions isn't until next Wed, and then the final pieces will be chosen. Newcomers are sometimes confused how the process works, so wanted to make note of how the CD is put together, and how it's not known yet which entries will be included.

This is certainly a great overture to the holiday season. Thanks for it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thumbs up Re: Christmas Festival Overture for Orchestra

Wow Colton, you have such a majestic sounding horn in this, it is awesome! Hope this one is on the CD.
    Thanks for posting, this will definitley get played this Christmas.

David

fiziwig Strangely enough, when I first composed the original piece, I didn't connect it with Christmas until I stuck the bell part in at the end. For some reason, the bells are what made it seem like a Christmas piece to me.

GaryBric
    I'd recommend you take a listen at http://musichostr.com/music/17 for the Concert Band version done with CoMB then.

RichR I never knew the range of the french horn until after I wrote the original piece. I tried playing french horn for a little bit in school and realized exactly how hight the part was. However, the french horns sounded great in the original, so I've kept their part unaltered throughout the revisions of the piece.

Randy I fixed the description on the website. And yes, I am a newcomer to the Christmas CD so I didn't know that was how the process worked. Either that or I may have just missed hearing about that part last year for the CD.

Leaf French Horn is my favorite instrument in GPO, which you could probably tell since I use it as the lead on every piece I do.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Colton

The Horn definately makes you stand up and take notice. High, higher and wow. Nice music for the holidays with out the usualness of all the classics.

Well done
    Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast