• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Galaxy II update

Share/Bookmark

Galaxy II update

To follow the suggestion I start a new thread regarding the Galaxy II update.
    I had the opportunity to beta-test the update on my G5 Mac and Iīm very much impressed about the performance gain which now makes dropouts a very rare event on my computer (2X 2.5 GHz G5, 4 GByte RAM, 7200 rpm internal harddisk). The piano (especially the Boesendorfer) sounds excellent and I love the extensive possibilities to adjust the sound to your liking (my favourite knob being the colour knob + warmth). Together with my Bluethner Digital Pro One I have the feeling that currently I donīt need more pianos. The virtual pianos (TruePianos and PianoTeq) are pretty good already but they still lack the authenticity of these excellent sampled pianos.
    Not sure about live use as both pianos are demanding for the harddisk. I canīt test it thoroughly as my Powerbook (G4) is quite old and will not handle those beasts adequately (thatīs for sure)
    regards
    Raindog

PS: One suggestion for Update 2: Implementation of continuous sustain pedal samples

Re: Galaxy II update

Hi Wolfgang,

thanks for opening a new thread. The complete support of continuos sustain pedals (in Galaxy II 1.1 they work like normal sustain pedals) is already decided for v1.2 plus some nice extra features, especially for live playing.

Best regards,
    Klaus Baetz - GalaxyInstruments/The Badroom

That's good to know.

I prefer spending my money on working instruments, that function live.

Rare dropouts aren't even tolerated live.

Does this have a fully functioning sostenuto demo I could try or hear?

I have heard a couple which I won't mention here, that have that ability but I noticed harmonic overflow and audio glitches upon their release.

I have a fairly powerful DAW w/ low latency RAM, and redundant HDD's for my content, which are all Raptors. The reasons I have been told, which are incorrect, are that my CPU isn't fast enough, or my RAM and HDD's need to be upgraded ? Really,...to what ?

I have no trouble loading and playing several 1 and 2 GB libraries not to mention several GVI / K2 based instruments. You'd think that a DP965LT / E6800 would suffice.

I really would like a real performance orientated instrument, your authenticity seems to be awesome, but to me, live performance in one take is where it's at.

Tell me about these features, as the battle for quality of sound seems to have been handled rather well.

Thanks Brotha' Man Cold Steel,
    JimmyV

Hi Klaus

Just wanted to say that I'm now using v1.1 and have noticed a significant performance improvement (i.e. now only the ocassional 'pop'.) If I take off all four of the 'Noises' (Release, Hammer etc), the pops all but disappear.

Can I say once again - well done for putting this one out. The tonal quailty of this library is more realistic than anything else I've played.

Bravo!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live
    That's good to know.

I prefer spending my money on working instruments, that function live.

Rare dropouts aren't even tolerated live.

Does this have a fully functioning sostenuto demo I could try or hear?

I have heard a couple which I won't mention here, that have that ability but I noticed harmonic overflow and audio glitches upon their release.

I have a fairly powerful DAW w/ low latency RAM, and redundant HDD's for my content, which are all Raptors. The reasons I have been told, which are incorrect, are that my CPU isn't fast enough, or my RAM and HDD's need to be upgraded ? Really,...to what ?

I have no trouble loading and playing several 1 and 2 GB libraries not to mention several GVI / K2 based instruments. You'd think that a DP965LT / E6800 would suffice.

I really would like a real performance orientated instrument, your authenticity seems to be awesome, but to me, live performance in one take is where it's at.

Tell me about these features, as the battle for quality of sound seems to have been handled rather well.

Thanks Brotha' Man Cold Steel,
    Hi Scope,
    not sure if any of these large sample based piano libraries will be absolutely suitable for life performance (where as you said correctly, a single dropout would be unacceptable). The problem is mostly that DFD with these libraries is very demanding due to the fact that you stream many voices at the same time (the sampled sound itsself + noises + sympathetic resonance samples + release samples). When pressing the sustain pedal and playing arpeggios or other runs you can easily have something like 200 voices which stresses most harddisks (and laptop harddisks even more). So donīt expect too much (if you need a 100% clean performance).
    I would suggest one of the virtual pianos instead (TruePianos or Pianoteq) as they are cpu based only and most modern cpu can handle them easily. I donīt think they sound as good as Galaxy but 90% of the audience wouldnīt be able to tell the difference between a Russian Petrov upright and a Steinway concert grand
    I still use my Kawai MP9000 for life use. Itīs a bit outdated but rock solid.
    I had the opportunity to play a Steinway for the last gig. This made you forget ANY sampled or virtual piano anyway. Performance rock solid, no drop outs at all. Makes me think about saving 50000 EUR as well as 4 road assistants to carry it around for me (not that most of the audience would have appreciated the Steinway but who cares for the audience, we are MUSICIANS arenīt we? )

Best regards
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    ...not sure if any of these large sample based piano libraries will be absolutely suitable for life performance.... The problem is mostly that DFD with these libraries is very demanding due to the fact that you stream many voices at the same time (the sampled sound itsself + noises + sympathetic resonance samples + release samples). ...

I would suggest one of the virtual pianos instead (TruePianos or Pianoteq) as they are cpu based only and most modern cpu can handle them easily.
    Modelled pianos are certainly a more elegant solution. The update to pianoteq is much less synthetic sounding and it may be that when routed thru a PA system it would be a fine performance instrument.

For home play I still prefer sampled pianos.

Hi,

I have two problems with the warp engine, but I'm not sure what might be the cause, so let me just describe what's going on:

1. When I fire up the Alterizer, the default "mutator" selected is the number 5 - Like Chimes, instead of 1 - Android Sphere. Ok, no big deal, but the problem is when I try to change it to ANY other, the only thing that changes is the name. The sound is still the same (it's the same mutator) and at the bottom of KPlayer I get the "SCRIPT WARNING: IR sample not found or not loadable".
    Could it be beacause of the 1.1 update or do I have something totally screwed up? I tried to reinstall the engine, but it's still the same:/

2. The Ghost Mode is almost not working. It's quite random, but usually when I hit a certain key for the first time, it plays, but after one-two more "hits" it stops giving any sound and quickly more and more keys continue to stop playing. So basically, after literally a moment, the Ghost Mode is just not working.

Does any of you have the same problems in 1.1? I can't tell if it could be the reason since I updated it (quite) long ago and wasn't using those features at all, until today. And I didn't make a backup of version 1.0 "Instruments" folder - yeah, that wasn't too wise...:/

Thanks,
    Iwanatsu

...anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanatsu
    ...anyone?
    Sorry, I canīt comment on this as I almost donīt use the warp machine being a more traditionally oriented pianist. But maybe the developers can comment on this.
    regards
    Raindog

Hi, sorry for the delay

1) I don't have this problem here. The Alterizer works fine with all mutators. Please check if your library path is correct (press the info button in the Galaxy II section in Kontakt Player's browser) and if the Galaxy_II Impulses.nkx is in this folder.

2) This is a bug. We'll release a small update in the next few days to fix this. Thank you for pointing this out.

Best regards,
    Klaus Baetz - GalaxyInstruments/The Badroom

Go Back to forum