• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas March op.71 for piano and orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Christmas March op.71 for piano and orchestra

Hello!!! Long time no posting eh? Anyway, I'm finally back, ready to give you some music to hear! This time I want to post my last composition. The name is "Christmas March op.71 for piano and orchestra". I composed this piece in occasion of a competition of Christmas Music.

Here's the link: http://digidownload.libero.it/KIIIII...ia%20op.71.mp3

I wanted to ask if it's possible to add this piece to the Garritan Christmas CD . I'd be very happy.

Enjoy!

Andrea
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Re: Christmas March op.71 for piano and orchestra

Hi, Andrea

I just refreshed my memory on your last piece which was posted in June, "Ghost of the Little Violinist." That was a very effective piece, and now 4 months later, something extremely different from you and equally effective in its own way.

Beautiful, gentle piece, and your orchestra sounds really nice here.

The deadline for the Christmas CD was extended by another week, so you haven't missed the deadine. You can see the associated thread in General Discussion for more info. - You do understand that pieces are submitted for the CD, then some are chosen for the disc. Entering a piece doesn't mean it's automatically included. But I'm guessing that DPDAN, in charge of the project, wouldn't mind having yet another piece sent in for consideration.

Thanks for the very lovely piece!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Andrea,

I like the way you contrast the hesitant sounds of the strings playing a note.... a note ... and then the pieces swells into a lush crescendo.... the contrast is very effective in building interest. Very nice. And only 16, no less? Bravo!

Karen

Randy and Karen,

Thank you for the comments. I really appreciated them. For the gentle orchestration I was inspired by another orchestration I made some time ago (Picture n.4). I didn't use brass in the orchestra 'cause I tought they were too strong for the piece. I limited myself to use only the French Horns, for their softer sound than Trumpets and the other brass. The remaining orchestra is composed principally by woodwinds and strings. I think the effect is fantastic.
    www.andreacomposer.com - News, previews, medias, discography and sheet music download.

"Square" - The debut album by Andrea Maria Ottavini

Available on http://cdbaby.com/cd/amottavini

Shortly even through iTunes, Napster, Great Indie Music and USA Stores.

Andrea,

This is a VERY nice work both in composition and presenatation. My only comment towards an improvement is that it sounds a little choopy with all of the starts and breaks throughout. The same is true in the supporting accompiment. If it were smoother, more continuous, maybe some of the phrases longer it would have even a nicer sound. But on the whole it is excellent writing.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hey Andrea,
    Welcome back - and thank you for the wonderful music you brought us.

To me this work is a great reinvention of classical composition. A very quiet yet commanding work at first glance. You eventually reach neo-romantic heights in your orchestral swells and glide along with early classical piano sounding plenty of elegant trills.

A wonderful work all the way around and very well thought out and rendered.

You have a true gift.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Very nice work, Andrea! Using the hesitative elements
    as contrasts to the broadly flowing elements implies some
    good musical thinking. And the piano work in this is
    particularly attractive, as is that lushly flourished
    closure.

On the hesitation theme, I might suggest perhaps
    holding a high note quietly sustained across some of the
    open spaces; a high pedal point, as it were; which would
    impart a sense of continuity to them without losing the
    hesitant feel.

Much enjoyed, Andrea; keep it coming!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice opening and the beginning works very well. Later when the piano comes in, the stage gets set for a fine orchestral outing. A few longer held notes from the orchestra would help a lot with the continuity of the piece. You set up and climb well to a convincing finish. For 16 years of age, this is great work!!!

Well done

Ron

Go Back to forum