• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Prelude in Gb Major

Share/Bookmark

Prelude in Gb Major

Hi. I just finished the latest of my preludes – Prelude #7 in Gb Major.

Back when I was working on the prelude in E Major I planned out the next 2 – c# minor and F#/Gb Major. I quickly wrote the c# minor one, but then got sidetracked. Actually, I haven’t written a note since my last posting (Sonata in c# minor, 1st Movement, AKA – Careful What You Wish For). Well, I haven’t written a note until about 2 days ago.

This one, like the E major one, is a product of improvisation. I pretty much transcribed what I was playing and made a few very minor changes. At first I wasn’t too sure if I should use it since it is really just a simple circle of fifths with Neapolitan thrown in after the Dominant, but after rendering… well, I liked what I heard. I think the few minor changes I made to the chords, such as flatting the fifth of the starting V7/iii (could also be a raised third on the vii7) on the opening chord or the voicing of the second chord (iii6/5 sounds like a V13) obscures the simple circle of fifths in the background. I chose Gb instead of F# because I raised more notes than lowered (I like naturals better than double sharps).

Anyway, enough analyzing, here are preludes to this point. (A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-F#-eb(d#)-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

1 – Prelude in C
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E
    6 - Prelude in c# minor
    7 – Prelude in Gb Major

13 – Prelude in Eb
    14 – Prelude in c minor

People paying close attention may remember prelude 13 in Eb as the piano version of my Challenge 13 entry. Shortly after writing it I was listening to Debussy’s Preludes and was struck be how much my piece seemed to fit in, especially with Book 2 of his Preludes. This prelude also seems to start in (which is the expected key in my circle) yet ends in Eb – I think it makes a good transition between the 2 halves of this.

Any comments, good, bad or ugly, are welcome.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Prelude in Gb Major

Very much ugly.

Just kidding

This is very full in parts and minamilistic in others. An interesting view of the piano.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Very much ugly.

Just kidding

This is very full in parts and minamilistic in others. An interesting view of the piano.

Ron
    I'm sure a lot of people find this latest prelude "very much ugly" - begining on a tritone as it does... it does fit in with my large scale plan of the whole set.

Thanks for listening and for taking the time to comment
    Trent P. McDonald

Very much ugly has been said about my pieces as compliments at other sites!!!

I have yet to listen to all of the pieces, but I am over half way.

I guess my previous comments apply to all so far. Very full and yet minimized.

I find your approach to the piano to be .... I hate to say interesting because that can be misconstrued, but I can't think if another word.

Ron

Hi, Trent

I want to hear this again after this morning - It's not a great morning I'm having, and I'm in need of something less fraying to my nerves. lol - But for now I at least want to say that the recording is sounding good, and that as an improvisation I found some interesting moments.

I'm trying to tune in! I'll try again tomorrow.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Very much ugly has been said about my pieces as compliments at other sites!!!

I have yet to listen to all of the pieces, but I am over half way.

I guess my previous comments apply to all so far. Very full and yet minimized.

I find your approach to the piano to be .... I hate to say interesting because that can be misconstrued, but I can't think if another word.

Ron
    Hi again Ron.

I think I know what you are saying. Each prelude is a “fragment” – although each is complete they are not whole on their own, very few of them are completely successful on their own yet they all reinforce each other to make a greater whole. At least that is my intention.

Thanks for posting again.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Trent

I want to hear this again after this morning - It's not a great morning I'm having, and I'm in need of something less fraying to my nerves. lol - But for now I at least want to say that the recording is sounding good, and that as an improvisation I found some interesting moments.

I'm trying to tune in! I'll try again tomorrow.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy,

To tell you the truth, I am slightly surprised at the response (or lack there-of) for this prelude though I know I shouldn’t be.

I knew exactly what I wanted this to do even before I wrote the previous one. When I wrote this one it seemed to perfectly fit what I wanted it to do, even more than any of the others. Maybe I had written it subconsciously over the last month or so.

When I listen and it sounds perfect I forget that one of the things I wanted for it was to be… hmmm, I know what I wanted musically but can’t put it into words…. “disturbing” is wrong but close. I wanted the beginning to be almost a shock and for it to be slightly dark…. Hmmm, still not right… Anyway, listen to the music and you’ll know.

This was conceived to go with the prelude in c# minor as a kind of “yin and yang”. Although some of the preludes lead into the next one much more smoothly and a few they seem to spring right out of the previous, these two are opposites - the begining should almost be shocking.

Anyway, I’m sorry your morning didn’t go so well. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
    Trent P. McDonald

An interesting addition to the set, Trent. And I do
    understand well what you're elucidating about the
    contextual flow of the individual preludes lending
    more sense to them in the greater whole.

When shall we have #8, so we can hear how this
    fits together with the subsequent prelude?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is a lovely piece. Very dark in mood. The opening chords are simply gorgeous.... Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    An interesting addition to the set, Trent. And I do
    understand well what you're elucidating about the
    contextual flow of the individual preludes lending
    more sense to them in the greater whole.

When shall we have #8, so we can hear how this
    fits together with the subsequent prelude?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David,

Thanks for listening and your comments. I haven't really decided on where to go from here. I might take another little break and work on the next movement of the proposed piano sonata "Careful What You Wish For". But on the other hand, maybe inspiration for the next prelude will strike soon.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast