• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Tallgrass

Share/Bookmark

Tallgrass

Hi, I'm new, though I've been listening for awhile, and am so impressed with the talent here, which has me shaking in my shoes right now.

I composed this piece on Garage Band, using a digital keyboard to enter each track, which so far, I prefer because it sounds more natural. But it has lots of problems, as the notes rarely line up because of delay problems, especially when I'm using lots of instruments. I have much to learn, and am hoping for some helpful feedback.

I used GPO instruments, which I've just recently gotten working with Garage Band, and also Symphony Jam Pack, which is used with GB. I work on an iMac and a Roland fantom-S88.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...4&content=song

I'm hoping this post will be "clickable". Let me know if it doesn't work.

Thanks, Emily Miller

Re: Tallgrass

Just beautiful, Emily -- atmospheric, and, for me, parts definitely bring up images of farmland after the harvest. The part with the drums has a pleasantly medieval feel for me. The unusual harmonies and the way they weave smoothly in and out are lovely -- this is so classic "you", my friend.

(PS Emily is one of my closest friends and I am so happy to have her here on the forum! Please join me in giving her a warm welcome!! )

Karen --

Thank you, I'm happy you like it (it has some of your suggestions in it).
    Emily

Emily:
    This is a beautiful piece. It sounds very professional. I'm sure you will receive suggestions on the technical aspects of the production but I am more concerned about and very impressed with your material.
    I grew up in central Illinois and remember very distinctly as a child traveling with my parents by train to Denver to see my brother. Then, the corn fields of Illinois and Iowa were BORING as were the wheat fields of Nebraska, but getting into Colorado, those prairie grasses with the Rockies off in the distance, left an indelible impression on me and your piece brought those memories back. Thank you.
    Plese keep writing, you have a gift.

sos

SOS -
    (what IS you name?) thank you for your very encouraging words.

A warm welcome, Emily, to this wonderful forum!
    I find your music interesting and promising!
    Glad you joined.

Yudit

Emily:
    I suspect that my father was drunk when he named me:
    Steve Omar Sample, and since I've heard ALL of the jokes about my initials while growing up I decided to use them in my "arrangements in a hurry or emergencies," such as shot-gun weddings, divorces, gotta have that arrangement yesterday, etc.---- thus the SOS Music Services. I hope this clears up any mystery.

sos

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Emily:
    I suspect that my father was drunk when he named me:
    Steve Omar Sample, and since I've heard ALL of the jokes about my initials while growing up I decided to use them in my "arrangements in a hurry or emergencies," such as shot-gun weddings, divorces, gotta have that arrangement yesterday, etc.---- thus the SOS Music Services. I hope this clears up any mystery.

sos
    Hey, Steve, you mean you're THE Dr. Sample?
    Is this you: (senior?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sample,_Sr

Thumbs up Re: Tallgrass

Welcome Emily!! What a beautiful piece you have here. I agree with that you have a gift and thank you for sharing it with us. I could picture those grasses waving to the wind currents and reflecting the soft sunlight.

David

Emily
    welcome to this most wonderful music community............It is a fantastic place to be......From the sound of your work i do not think you need to do any shaking....In fact hanging out with that side kick of yours KE Peace you could not do wrong......she is a very gifted composer and I am sure will help you in what you need............I cannot wait to hear more of your work!!!!!

Now, while listening to this one I have to ask, did you use any samples played backwards? because I think that's what I hear in this one.....If so I do think they were used musically and congratulations for thinking outside the box on it........if not congratulations any way because you did a very nice job hear......
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast