• Register
  • Help

Topic: MB pro overload - DFD solution?

Share/Bookmark

MB pro overload - DFD solution?

Hi everyone

I know this isnt technically the correct place for this post, but i really need an answer quick and this is the best place to get it, so please help!

Before I explain the problem heres my spec:
    2.2Ghz Macbook Pro (dual core2)
    4Gb Ram
    Logic Pro
    Internal soundcard

In a project im working on I have 5 GPO and JABB instruments (all percussion based) plus 2 instances of independance free and 4 wave tracks. No instrument track is playing more than 1 note at a time, but several are playing semiquavers at 150bpm. WHen i press play
    the cpu maxs out, giving me audio glitches! surely this shouldnt happen on a laptop as powerful as this?! I've also noticed that one cpu has 100% usage, whereas the other is only used a tiny litle bit...its in use, but only a little. does anyone know how the processing is divided between the two cpu? Knowing this would help me setup my projects more suitably...

Bit of an obscure post i know, but any help or thoughts would be great. thanks

Ben

Re: MB pro overload - DFD solution?

Some ideas -

-Try raising your audio buffer size. Latency will suffer, but you may be able to play the project effortlessly at 512 when it chokes at 128 or 256.

-I'm not familiar with Yellow Tools products and their efficiency, or lack of, but try muting each instrument once at a time to see where biggest performance hit is coming from. Then freeze that track - freezing in Logic is very quick and effortless, and will allow you to easily use far more instrument voices in your project than you can run in real-time.

-Notebook computer internal drives are much faster than they used to be, but still not optimal for DFD, especially if you're running audio tracks off the same drive (and of course booted from it as well). I also use a MBPro as my main computer now, and I have all of my big sample libraries on a FireWire 800 external hard drive - and a second FW800 drive to hold my projects. This is less portable of course, but the performance is excellent. I would caution against using USB 2.0 hard drives, they don't perform as well as FireWire for streaming samples or lots of audio tracks.

-Also make sure you have the latest versions of everything - Mac OS, drivers, AU instruments. Try to minimize the other processes you have running in the background (web browser, mail, airport connection, etc...)

Hope that helps...

Brian

hey brian, thanks for the tips.

Quick question, when i freeze a midi track which had inserts on it, do they automatically bypass/remove themselves to free up cpu? Was wandering if you've experienced any bizarre glitching with your logic whe using only say 12 instruments or so...surely a "top of the range" laptop like ours should handle this!

Also what FW800 hardrive do you have? im looking for a cheapo one (but still decent!) now!

thanks again

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    Quick question, when i freeze a midi track which had inserts on it, do they automatically bypass/remove themselves to free up cpu? Was wandering if you've experienced any bizarre glitching with your logic whe using only say 12 instruments or so...surely a "top of the range" laptop like ours should handle this!

Also what FW800 hardrive do you have? im looking for a cheapo one (but still decent!) now!
    yes, when you freeze a track, the original instrument/plugins are automagically disabled and an audio track is rendered in their place. When you unfreeze the track, the plugins are enabled the the rendered audio goes away. As for your other question, I should defer to a Logic expert - I use DP mainly, only work in Logic when collaborating with someone else who uses it...

I buy FW drives from OWC computing, they've never let me down. G-drive looks well-engineered as well:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/
    http://www.g-technology.com/Products/Products.cfm

A faster option than FW800 for the MacBook Pro is to use an ExpressCard eSATA adapter and eSATA drives, possibly even setup in a RAID configuration. I'm considering going this route at some point...

B

Hey Brian, thanks for the info and links, much appreciated. I was informed that using the Express Card really slows down the macok pro, have you heard that?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    Hey Brian, thanks for the info and links, much appreciated. I was informed that using the Express Card really slows down the macok pro, have you heard that?
    What's your source? not the case in my experience. I have a FW800 ExpressCard I use when tracking live at 96KHz, helps divide the load between the two firewire buses.

My source was the technician at my uni. He knows his stuff...im thinking he might actually have said dont use a soundcard in the express slot and im just quoting him incorrectly. my bad.

Go Back to forum