• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using an LFO to make K2 Sonivox strings sound more realistic?

Share/Bookmark

Using an LFO to make K2 Sonivox strings sound more realistic?

I'm just starting to get into Sonivox complete symphonic library as well as Kontakt 2.

My first effort, as described in another recent thread here in this forum, is a mock-up of Brahms 1st Symphony, which you can listen to here (pick the file "BrahmsNEW011107"):

http://www.garageband.com/artist/HenrikBJ

In the other thread someone pointed out to me that the Sonivox strings have a slight crescendo built into them which ends at exactly the same spot. So just as with the so-called machine gun effect for repetition notes, this built-in slight crescendo gives away to the listener that this is in fact a sample based piece of music.

I have looked at the options available for strings in the Sonivox library, but all I can see is instruments where you can use the modulation wheel to switch between differerent velocity layers, which is not what I need in this case.

Somewhere I read a comment from someone saying that you could make a K2 trumpet sound more realistic by letting an LFO control something - I can't remember what.

Can this be done for strings as well?
    If so, how do I set it up?

Best regards,
    Henrik

Re: Using an LFO to make K2 Sonivox strings sound more realistic?

Just change the ADSR envelope or(and) layer a different attack portion sample from the set on top.

I'm thinking the slight crescendo that I heard may be built in to the espressivo samples only.. the regular legato samples do not exhibit it.. since you have layered the legato and the espressivo together it is much less noticable than it used to be. (However VR's suggestion should allow you to get rid of it entirely.)

BTW henrik.. could you post a cubase file or MIDI file of your Brahms rendering? I'd like to run it through my gear as I have the same strings and brass that you do, and I want to take a look at a few notes as well b/c a couple things still sound slightly off..

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    BTW henrik.. could you post a cubase file or MIDI file of your Brahms rendering? I'd like to run it through my gear as I have the same strings and brass that you do, and I want to take a look at a few notes as well b/c a couple things still sound slightly off..
    Absolutely! Shall I zip the Cubase-file and mail it to the address you have listed on your homepage?

*curses those flat-notes!*

Yup, the address on my homepage will work just fine

Mike

Go Back to forum