• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reverb - satisfy feinschmeckers or "normal" people?

Share/Bookmark

Reverb - satisfy feinschmeckers or "normal" people?

I have a hard time figuring out how much reverb to add to a piece I'm working on.

If I add very little reverb, the various instruments are still glued together very nicely as they should via reverb, while still leaving each instrument well-defined. The piece is in a word "tight". However, if I add more reverb, the piece definitely sounds more majestic - it sounds more like a classical recording.

I suspect that if other musicians listened to the version with little reverb, nobody would think that it was lacking on reverb. On the other hand, if I posted the version with more reverb, I do think people would start making comments about the reverb, that I should perhaps consider cutting it back a little.

However...if I mail the version with little reverb to my big brother, who is not a musician, he will probably think it sounds good. On the other hand, if I mail him the version with more reverb, he will no doubt be rather impressed, as the reverb makes the piece sound bigger and more "pro".

Btw. with more reverb I do not mean "drown the piece in reverb", I simply mean add more reverb, but still at a sensible level.

So - who to satisfy: The feinschmeckers in here, or my big brother?

Best regards,
    Henrik

Re: Reverb - satisfy feinschmeckers or "normal" people?

Maybe post a soundclip?

does that not also depend on the reverb itself .... due to the Reflect introduction price I did a little reverb test and the degree of transparency in reverb tails can be quite different. also how that affects the dry signal....

and with 'pro' in this case- do you mean more 'hollywood'?

just some thoughts

best

I have posted two soundclips called BrahmsDRY and BrahmsWET here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/HenrikBJ

(there are other songs named Brahms-something there, just ignore those)

Steff3, with "pro" I do not mean Hollywood-style, I mean a sound such as that found on a standard classical recording.

What reverb engine are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    What reverb engine are you using?
    I'm using Voxengo Pristine Space with IRs from Samplicity ("T600 - 021 Large Hall")

OK, that is a good reverb.. just making sure you were using something that did early reflections!

Something you might want to do is rather than having just one instance of your Pristine Space reverb it may work out better to have more than one.. strings are positioned closer to the audience in an orchestra than brass/percussion. By using less reverb on the strings than on the brass and percussion you should be able to better simulate a stereo sound field where the brass and perc have picked up more room verb before they reach the audience due to the length of the room they have traversed. I've done that before quite a few times and it helps to make things sound a bit more 3-d.

I find generally that if I am emailing an MP3 or expect it to be heard online over computer speakers, which sometimes are not terribly good, I add a little extra reverb. Especially for MP3s at lower resolution, the reverb seems to disappear, to my ears.

And the suggestion about more reverb on brass and percussion is an excellent one. it can give that "majestic" sound to which you alluded without having the entire recording get swimmy.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Are there places in your piece where more reverb sounds better to you, and others where less is more? Since you are making a digital work, you are free to vary room characteristics as yet another musical parameter. Not a technique for purists, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikBJ
    So - who to satisfy: The feinschmeckers in here, or my big brother?
    Henrik
    Do yourself a favor and please your ears
    BTW I do not mean this as a joke but this is my real advice.

Best regards

Go Back to forum