• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Voices in the Wilderness: mv 4 Miserere

Share/Bookmark

Voices in the Wilderness: mv 4 Miserere

The piece presented for listening here is mv 4, which is new, but as I often do, am including links to the other movements for context. The second movement has also been updated since I last posted it and I am happier with it now.

As always, thanks for listening.

Karen

Voices in the Wilderness: A Garland of Mystical Poems
    (for chorus and small orchestra)

mv 1: Heaven-Haven
    http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=710880&songid=5837467&content=s ong

mv 2: And Death Shall Have No Dominion
    http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=710880&songid=5860493&content=s ong

mv 4: Miserere
    http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandid=710880&songid=5930252&content=s ong

Re: Voices in the Wilderness: mv 4 Miserere

Karen

I don't know if I ever told you or perhaps you might have read about it in other threads, but I am not much into choral music. I much more prefer the sound of the orchestra.

That said.... I still really enjoyed this. I enjoy the parts without the human element more than the parts with, but that is just me.

I believe that you must be the opposite. In this and in another you put the choir in front of the orchestra. Just your preference and you have the sound you wish to hear.

This entire work shows your dedication to your music and you should be very proud of the outcome!!!

Your friend

Ron

Thank Ron for listening. No I didn't know you weren't into choral music -- it's odd that i haven't written more because other than "the computer", voice is actually my primary instrument. But I was so getting into the GPO sounds, it just took off. But lately, a couple of potential opportunities opened up for some choral music, and since Finale 2008 makes it easy to mix libraries (the sounds here are all GPO except for the chorus and an occasional percussion or unusual instrument), it seemed to just naturally "happen".

Thanks for listening, my friend

Hi Karen,

I enjoyed the latest movement of your Voices in the Wilderness. A bit bigger scale than the others – I guess you more to say about suffering than death . I also took a quick listen to the updated, non-Dylan Thomas 2nd mvmnt. I really don’t remember what it sounded like before, but I do like this. I like it all so far - So where is mvmnt 3?
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hi Karen,

I enjoyed the latest movement of your Voices in the Wilderness. A bit bigger scale than the others – I guess you more to say about suffering than death . I also took a quick listen to the updated, non-Dylan Thomas 2nd mvmnt. I really don’t remember what it sounded like before, but I do like this. I like it all so far - So where is mvmnt 3?
    thanks for listening, Trent. Yeah, Death is easy; suffering is hard...

Movement 3 is in the works -- it's much more simple, and i'm not sure if I'll use it or not -- depends how it turns out. It struck me too that maybe i should re-arrange the order of the movements, but that can wait til have all of them -- and how many that will be, I don't know, just depends on inspiration, I guess. I'd like to end it (maybe) with and death shall have no dominion, because that makes more sense to me, and i'm really fond of that movement.

Karen

Hi Karen,

You've achieved a wonderfully ethereal feel with this movement, not soley by virtue of the voices but as a result of your fine compositional technique and creativity. I could almost hear the voices singing in Latin (strange, because I know no Latin whatsoever -- see how effectively evocative it was??) A really fine addition to your piece. Thanks for posting your wonderful work!

Danny

Thumbs up Re: Voices in the Wilderness: mv 4 Miserere

Excellent writing Karen!! Those choral voices sound surprisingly well except where they have the lowest notes in the lower range, which is unfortunate because those parts would be very beautiful if the library could do better there. You do excellent harmonizing of the voices with the orchestra though, and love this piece, both the choral and orchestra are showing moments of genius.

David

Hi Karen, all three of these pieces are beautifully crafted and work well together. Throughout, the orchestra seems to weave in and out of the choral work - and is complimentary to it rather than competing. GPO is sounding particularly colourful and realistic in these pieces too and the orchestration is excellent. This would sound great performed live.

Regards, Graham

Karen,

I am listening to your third movement now. And like the others it is great composition, well thought out and equally important, well presented in its production. There is always a nice sense of presence about it, excellent interplay between the orchestra and the vocal groups. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks Danny, David, Graham and Gary. for listening and for your encouraging words. It means a lot to hear such good words from my talented colleagues!!

I am hoping some church might actually want to perform this some day (it was dedecated to my church, a bunch of broadminded, learned, and deep people). I wrote it especially so it could be played with a small orchestra (such as a church might have or hire), or, in a pinch, with a digital rendering of the orchestra.

Thanks again, guys.

ps. Wow! its a beautiful day here in Colorado -- an absolutely perfect Fall day! Hope you all have a great day!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast