• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cheat River Canyon

Share/Bookmark

Cheat River Canyon

I used to be a white water guide in West Virginia on the Cheat River. The canyon was around 11 miles long and had mostly class 4 and class 5 rapids. For those who don't know what that means....

Class 1 rapids are a calm mirror like surface
    Class 5 rapids have 5+ feet drops and swells
    Class 6 means there is a strong possibility of death.

Anyway, this piece starts out with the little riffles and proceeds to the larger rapids.

The piano is the steinway from GPO

Here is the MP3
    http://www.box.net/shared/ff7jo434cy

Comments are greatly appreciated. This is much more tonal than a lot of my works previously posted.
    Ron

(Edit)
    I forgot that I prepared some movements of a string quartet to be ready for posting last night, so I will give a little teaser here with movement 2 of 4. I will explain the title and the meaning of the piece when I post the full 4 movements.

Here is

On the Cusp of Insanity 2nd Movement (all GPO)

http://www.box.net/shared/j5bo4cagbq

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Cheat River Canyon

This work is definitely a force to be reckoned with Ron! You have successfully framed your title brilliantly. A great stream of conscious writing slowly progressing and perfectly depicting your focus and creatively mirroring it's characteristics. Great work Ron!

Looking froward to: 'On the Cusp of Insanity' - debut on this forum.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Re: Cheat River Canyon

Terrific work Ron!

Highly onomatapoeic.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    This work is definitely a force to be reckoned with Ron! You have successfully framed your title brilliantly. A great stream of conscious writing slowly progressing and perfectly depicting your focus and creatively mirroring it's characteristics. Great work Ron!

Looking froward to: 'On the Cusp of Insanity' - debut on this forum.

Michael
    As always Michael, I thank you. Again...Glad the spark is back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Terrific work Ron!

Highly onomatapoeic.
    Alan

I was pretty sure, but still had to check the dictionary!!!

I hope you did as well for the spelling. If not... "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Thanks again

Ron

Very nice. This is not generally "my style" of music, but this piece had a kind of unity and cohesiveness that held it all together for me. I enjoyed it very much.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    This is much more tonal than a lot of my works previously posted.

Yeah, well we've been meaning to speak to you about that...

Seriously, this is very evocative of the title. Sounds playable, too - although I am not a pianist. Really enjoyed this!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi, Ron

--pardon me while I wring my clothes out - I got DRenched!

What an imaginative use of real life experience, using your memories as a white water guide as inspiration for a composition. This rolls and splashes along with impressive freedom, so appropriate for the occasion.

And Alan came up with an excellent word to describe this-- "onomatopoeic." Yes indeed.

My new fave piece from you, Ron. Great!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Very nice. This is not generally "my style" of music, but this piece had a kind of unity and cohesiveness that held it all together for me. I enjoyed it very much.
    Gary

I am glad you are able to keep an open mind when it comes to music.
    "My Style" has changed many times thru the years, from hard acid rock to mellow Bach, but I think this only helps in composing.

Thanks for the listen and the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Yeah, well we've been meaning to speak to you about that...

Seriously, this is very evocative of the title. Sounds playable, too - although I am not a pianist. Really enjoyed this!
    Ron (BTW great first name)

I have had a number of pianists look at the score and they have said it is playable, although none have tried. There is one spot of 32nd notes that have a long reach that has always made me wonder. I am fast enough to play the notes, but not talented enough to hit the right ones.

I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Ron

--pardon me while I wring my clothes out - I got DRenched!

What an imaginative use of real life experience, using your memories as a white water guide as inspiration for a composition. This rolls and splashes along with impressive freedom, so appropriate for the occasion.

And Alan came up with an excellent word to describe this-- "onomatopoeic." Yes indeed.

My new fave piece from you, Ron. Great!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy

On a typical white water outing, you would have so much beer in you, that you wouldn't even realize you were wet. I had some great times on that river. Party til 3 or 4 in the morning, get up at dawn, go 4 hours down the river and hit the beer again. Great times.
    Glad you liked it as well. It was a fun piece to compose!!!

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to listen and to comment.

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Cheat River Canyon

Sounds like it is securely somewhere between Acid Rock and Bach.

It a great ride, enjoyed that very much!

Even though more tonal than you usually play, it does have a newer than contemporary feel to it, i guess that is from the way it has speed as a counterpoint in places, if i'm describing what i'm hearing correctly. The rapids seem to come suddenly and quicker than expected, i suspect that is how it really is if you are not the guide knowing what is around the bend.

David

Ron,

Nice work, certainly capturing the varying river conditions with this "tone poem". As you put it, from the calm to the maximum. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast