• Register
  • Help

Topic: Never thought I'd see the day

Share/Bookmark

Never thought I'd see the day

When I could possess MORE sounds of the orchestral on a home PC. I was talking to someone at working about how technology has revolutionized music creation and he, coming from typsetting background (Xerox) agreed although he did lament that we've sort of lost the artistic aesthetic in all this. I think he meant more professionally. things can be faster and cheaper than ever before. I do think that the impact of this can be witnessed in the film scoring field more than anywhere else but that's another topic for another time.

I just received my Platinum Pro XP set today and I'm blown away by the sounds. But I'm also having a ball with Vienna Ensemble and I'm getting more out of my VIenna SE than ever before. I own a load of plug-ins to the point that it would take more than a month to go through every patch and sound I have. It just amazes me.

Anyhow, I was sort of reflecting upon this as I wait for my Platinum Pro to be loaded onto my PC on this quiet evening.

Re: Never thought I'd see the day

Yeah, it's absolutely amazing the tools we have today.
    Congrats on your recent purchases, the same as mine actually, Platinum XP and Vienna SE. Haven't tried the Ensemble yet though.

Now all we have to do is put these tools to good work!

Cheers
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I just need some time to actually work with these great libs

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I just need some time to actually work with these great libs
    Aye!! There's the rub...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Why stop at libraries?

You can write orchestral pieces, render them them, produce the CD's themselves, print on the CD's, package (heatshrink) them and market them. Or just set them up for paid/unpaid download on the net.

Everyone is a potential company. That's what I find scary.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Everyone is a potential company. That's what I find scary.

Ernie
    dude, that's what it's all about... Hey, if I could make albums at home and sell them, that'd be great... Of course, it doesn't always work out that way...

Selling something is a lot of promotional work, most of the time more work than actually creating the "product" (i.e. the musical work.. )... That's one of the ironies of life... and hence the reason why musicians are not more successful... It takes more work to sell yourself than to actually work... And the returns are lousy... Ah, the joys of being an artist...

Ah, I remember the days when I'd get home with a newly acquired synth. I would glance though the manual to the smell of new metal and foam packing material. Over the next couple of evenings, I would then proceed to audition every program and performance patch that the synth had to offer. Then I would dive to some basic program tweaking. At this point, I "knew" my synth pretty well. Now... I don't think I've even tapped 10% of what my rig can do (yeah ok so maybe I overbought a little - hehe). Even attempting to audition every sound would take months. And by that time, the upgrade to the next version is already on sale!

I remember saving for about a year for my brand new Korg M1 that I purchased in 1989 for $2700. Last year I purchased the M1 via software (korg Legacy) for a couple hundred bucks and the software is more powerful than the hardware unit (polyphony, effects, etc.). Now that amazes me!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by damoy
    Ah, I remember the days when I'd get home with a newly acquired synth. I would glance though the manual to the smell of new metal and foam packing material. Over the next couple of evenings, I would then proceed to audition every program and performance patch that the synth had to offer. Then I would dive to some basic program tweaking. At this point, I "knew" my synth pretty well. Now... I don't think I've even tapped 10% of what my rig can do (yeah ok so maybe I overbought a little - hehe). Even attempting to audition every sound would take months. And by that time, the upgrade to the next version is already on sale!
    I think we're all in the same boat to some extent. I have more VI's than I ever had synths at one time. If each VI represented a keyboard I could fill my entire house with them. It's pretty amazing that they all reside on a harddrive...or two...or three.

Go Back to forum