• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO -- Kontakt 2 -- Logic -- & --

Share/Bookmark

GPO -- Kontakt 2 -- Logic -- & --

I asked for advice on upgrading GPO/KP2 in Logic in the tech forum a couple of days ago without response. I'm posting this in "general" because I'm wondering if there is a migration away from the GPO-Logic combination due to the problems that have arisen using the two programs since the creation of GPO. I can't, don't want, to invest the time and money in a new daw. But I'm also tired of having to set the volume in GPO for too many instruments everytime I open Logic, and there are other good things apparently in the GPO upgrade.
    Trying to upgrade to KP2 got me spinning. I tried to prepare myself and read up, study the process but in the end was defeated: my new KP2 serial number, issued in Feb, "failed" the NI service center authorization, though everything else seems to have downloaded o.k and got authorized. I'm waiting on an email response from Native Instruments.
    I'm also going to put myself in an argueable position and go on record that I believe Apple poorly assessed musicians' value of their outboard synths and samplers and came up with a daw--Logic--that treated outboard synths and samplers as unnecessary in a "all-in-one complete" internal package. Then again, I'm no techie and Logic may be as good a design as is possible that uses both internal and external sounds.

Re: GPO -- Kontakt 2 -- Logic -- & --

I have logic 8, and before that I had logic express 7, and neither had any problem. I am just curious as to what your problem is exactly. Either way, you should call NI and tell them about your serial number problem, because i think that upgrading might solve whatever problems you might be having. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Sam-

The problems you're having with NI are common ones. Keith is right, though. Call them by phone and they'll help you through the process. They will NEVER get back to you by e-mail.

I got Logic 7 to replace a stolen PC on which I was running Cubase. Although Logic is imperfect, I've never regretted the change. Once set up, it works great with outside plugins (I use GPO, the Strad and Akoustik Piano.) There is one common problem, however, when using multi-voice and multi-player setups: Core Audio Overload. Although the CPU shows lots of 'room,' the overload happens whenever you open a saved project to work on. The first couple of times you go through the piece, you have to keep hitting 'Return' every time it stalls with the Overload. Then, Logic seems to settle down and re-learn the piece so you can work on it.

This problem is a regular topic of inquiry on Apple's Logic forum, and some work-arounds have been suggested. I suspect it's a Logic bug; so far, I haven't heard whether it's been fixed in LS 8. But depending on your DAW, this may not even be a problem for you since to my knowledge nobody here at Garritan forum has chimed in about the problem-- from which I conclude that it doesn't happen on everyone's setup.

All in all, Logic is worth the minor troubles. Once you get set up, you can make complex music with minimum time spent on mechanical issues.

Good luck!
    Clay

I think all the problems everyone is having on mac is caused by the always on in the background "iTunes Helper" spyware.

Leaf, whats this "Itunes helper" thing ye speak of? and how can I Kill it?!

Sam I recently moved to logic 8 with GPO KP2 from a solid cubaseSX basis, and I have to say, its been a real royal pain in the but*. After spending several days fighting the system to work out how to use a multitimbral instrument in logic AND route its instruments to different outs, things settled down a little...tho this envolved many hours scouring forums looking for some kind of uptodate help...

My most recent problem Ive discovered, is that you cant simply control the volume level of each instrument individually within a KP2 instance...touching the volume automation effects ALL the instruments volumes...similarly if one instrument plays, it appears that all of the instruments are playing in the "arrange" window. which confuses if your just glancing at it.

Doing midi editing in logic was excruciating compared to cubase (you cant have more than one cc contoller up in the piano roll at a time), and this will be a problem until you find a work around - mine is re-writing the keyboard shortcuts so that 1-9 change editing tool instead of window layout...its not great but its workable.

Furthermore you'll find (or at least I have) that the quantize function is somewhat random. There have been times when it just wont let me drag a note to the start of the bar... or if i draw a note in, it makes it such a long note i never found the end of it....

Core Audio overload is messed up as well. Claysf, do you find that one of your processors max out while the other does very little when you get this error? Another error i get is "unable to syncronize audio with midi".

Its clear that Logic 8 is buggy, and it sounds like I hate it, but to be honest I dont. It has issues, but its clear to see that it has the potential to be a great program for doing work quickly, once the bugs are gone and the piano roll is as good as cubaseSX's.... I've got to stick with it for uni anyway...

Ben

What is it is a very good question. I don't know but what it does is start when you start your computer, run all the time, is very busy, and overides your connect/disconnect to internet,

and so when you are not connected, it is there trying to connect...

and if you haven't clicked the connect to internet, but plug in the cable, it connects for you before you click connect.

The only way i know of to get rid of it is exterminating iTunes with appzapper.

http://appzapper.com/

To quiet your processor down so that while you are working or recording, it doesn't churn some info and overide your connect/disconnect to internet, you have to go through and turn off every app's auto-updating... rather than op-in as it should be

Usually that is in the app's preference, but some don't have it and just get updated when you use the OS X update, which also needs the automatic to be disabled.

Also you can turn off all widgets which need to connect to internet, by unchecking them from the list.

The latest terminal command to shut off the widgets call home spyware (overide of your control of connect/dissconect to internet) didn't work this time, so i just got rid of widgets and it's plist and component.

Hope that helps
    David

sam - it is funny that you mentioned some of those problems. they are what i hate about logic. volume editing does ALL the instruments in that particular player, and when you mute one or solo one it does that entire player. there might be a way to change that, but i have no idea how. and yes, sometimes it doesn't let you snap notes in the piano roll to a completely in time beat, but i figured out a workaround that works really well. you can a) zoom in really close so the note looks like its ten miles long and then it seems to let you snap it, or b) the easier way is to highlight everything you want fixed in the piano roll, then hit escape and select the quantize tool. after that click any note and select whole note or something that you don't want, then click it again and do that value that you want and it goes right away. the second way takes like 5 seconds and works like a charm.

also, when you draw in notes i think it makes it the value of the last edited note, so if you had a long drum roll or something the next note you enter will be that long. what i do is drag the zoom thing to really far out so the note looks smaller then drag it in and zoom back in. while this feature is sometimes annoying it is overall a good feature, because often times when you are writing in note they are the same length.

if you want to edit multiple ccs on one screen go to hyper edit. i agree its not perfect, but its something

and i agree that even with its flaws its still a great program. i used sonar before i got my mac and i like logic a lot better (even though there are tons of stupid things)
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks for the advice and support.
    Ben: I hope you are talking about adjusting volumes in some automatic way that adjusts all KP2 instruments simultaneously. One reason I decided to upgrade to KP2 was that I was under the impression you could set the volumes on the GPO instruments individually and they would remain thus when you opened Logic the next time.
    NI did get back to me via email on how to try to clear up my lack of serial authorization. I'll give it a go tomorrow after a hearty breakfast

Ben-

I haven't noticed any imbalance between CPU load on my processors, but I probably don't know how to track that. My CPU meter in Logic never shows more than 60 percent, even with a big load of instruments playing simultaneously. I have an IntelMac, and don't know how the duel prtocessors interact. However, I do get that "unable to synchronize audio message" a lot. No idea what it means. We just have to hope that Logic monitors its forums (if not this one) and is working on the problem. 'Til then, I've heard the following work-arounds proposed:

1. before playing a piece, highlight each track and trigger a few notes on each. This should tell Logic to 'wake up and play everything.'

2. Use an external drive to store and access all your projects. Supposedly, the interior drive has too many conflicts and other demands (the I-Tunes spyware?) compromising its effectiveness.

Haven't tried either of these yet, since I'm mostly working on small-scale arrangements right now. But both seem sensible in theory.

Clay

Sam-

Glad you heard back via e-mail from NI, and that they proved me wrong. I have never received an e-mail reply from them, but have had good luck with phone tech support once I got through the robot filtering system.

Clay

Go Back to forum