• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Logic: Edit window and cc hyperdraw questiion

Share/Bookmark

Logic: Edit window and cc hyperdraw questiion

The question: in the Edit window, when I delete material--either a group of notes or when I 'Select all to End' and pull the grouped notes leftward to delete a rythmic hesitation, the cc 64 (sustain) doesn't move with the notes. So now all the peddling is off. Is there a way to select and move ALL the midi info in the Edit window? I know that I can cut, select and glue sections in the Arrange window; but even at high zoom, this isn't as precise or convenient as in Edit mode.

Re: Logic: Edit window and cc hyperdraw questiion

Alas, I can offer no answer, but i can sympathize. Im finding lots of little niggles like this... sorry!

just trying to help,,,, in DP,.... have the tracks you want effected by the move showing in that window, then in the time ruler bar, highight from one point to another, then all the data is moved and kept in tact.

DPDan

Did you try shift-click-drag.. or is that just for the arrange window?

Assuming you have Logic 7, In the EDIT window - CC data does not follow nudges. CC data is tied to the Track and not necessarily the midi clip. (like fader automation in the track - is tied to a time in the track, vs a particular place within a clip).

You can still nudge, but you must do it in the Arrange window. This moves the whole clip.

If you don't want to do that - I suggest copying the clip to another track, and doing your edits there, or split the clip where you want to move things and nudge from there. I am hardly a power user in Logic though - I like 8 way more than 7. Although, I'm not sure how 8 handles this problem.

Tracktion handles this better than Logic, but, as Dan has pointed out, DP does it the best - it can lock all CC data to a MIDI clip and you can move, copy and edit without losing the CC data associated with those notes and clip.

I'll look at how 8 handles this to see if there are any shortcuts for this problem -(on my other computer).

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Hi, claysf

I do believe DPDAN has your answer. All DAWs behave the same way in this matter, because MIDI controller data is actually separate from the note on and off events. But if you simply drag the clip (with any quantizing grid off) - all data will move together. This can be done very precisely, especially if you're working with a metronome.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

i think that if you highlight something in the arrange window and move it you are asked if you'd like to move automation data. clicking yes will move everything, but i guess you're saying that you don't want to do it in the arrange window right?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks, guys. I'll give these tips a try over the weekend when home from my day job. I probably will upgrade to L 8 one of these days but really, I'm just getting comfy with 7 and reluctant to get into a brand new learning curve at the moment. There are times when I think I'd have been better off with DP, but I guess all these programs have their shortcomings.

Jerry, do let me know how L 8 handles this; it could be the incentive I need to upgrade.

Keith, fact is, I'm lazy. So I would like the simplicity and visual clarity of doing my all nudging (including cc data) in Edit where I'm doing 'most all of my other work, rather than switching back and forth from view to view. But I think I may be able to adapt and switch to arrange for this function. In the end, the best fix would be to perfect my piano playing so it doesn't need any rythmic fixes!

Quote Originally Posted by claysf
    Jerry, do let me know how L 8 handles this; it could be the incentive I need to upgrade.
    Logic 8 handles it much the same as Logic 7 does. The key seems to nudge the clips, since they keep all the CC data in place. (as opposed to Fader automation, such as volume and pan, which are tied more to to times within a track). But... again - I am no power user of Logic. I see there are some preferences under "automation" where you can lock automation to a region, and that automation data moves along with any movement of the region. (something Tracktion does not do).

Just letting you know. For what it is worth, Logic 8 is, in my opinion, a HUGE improvement over Logic 7. I would upgrade if you can afford to.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote:

Just letting you know. For what it is worth, Logic 8 is, in my opinion, a HUGE improvement over Logic 7. I would upgrade if you can afford to.

<br><br>Jerry-

Chances are, this has been already discussed and missed by yours truly. But can you tell me some of the reasons why you're finding L 8 to be such an improvement over L 7? I got Logic 7 at a student rate, so I'm not sure I'll get much of a deal on the upgrade. But money isn't everything. If the user interface is really easier to work with, I might make the move.

Please advise!<br><br>--Clay

<br><br>My rig:

MacBook Pro
    7600 RPM drive
    2GB RAM
    Logic 7
    GPO,Strad,Akoustik Piano

Go Back to forum