• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Bach - Fugue in G-Minor - CMB Sax Quartet

Share/Bookmark

Bach - Fugue in G-Minor - CMB Sax Quartet

The "Fugue in G-Minor" (BWV542b) is one of the better known of Bach's larger scale organ works. Here I have transcribed it for saxophone quartet for my friends of the Washington Saxophone Quartet. And yes they really can play it and play it well they do!

I am presenting the Bach at this time to plug their upcoming, the annual "Loaves and Fishes" concert, a fund raiser for area homeless, at the Grace Lutheran Church (4300 Sixteenth Street NW) in Washington, DC, this Saturday the 10th at 3PM. Besides the Bach they are performing three other arrangements of mine, Corelli, Gabriei and Paulus, in the program. I will be attending the concert and I invite anyone from the DC area to hear it as well. You won't be dissapointed!!

The fugue was input into Finale 2006 and performed by the Concert and Marching library saxophones; Soprano Solo 1, Alto Solo 2, Tenor Solo 1 and Baritone Solo 1.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Fugu...SaxQuartet.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Bach - Fugue in G-Minor - CMB Sax Quartet

Hi Gary,

A winner! I've always been fascinated by the sound of an able sax quartet coupled with music from the Baroque era. I remember (WAY back! ) some of my sax friends in college performing Bach and Corelli transcriptions -- a truly wonderful, rich sound.

You've done a great job achieving that same sonority here with the CMB saxes, and your rendering of the piece is first-rate, as usual. Congratulations on this piece being performed along with the others -- especially considering the noble cause involved. I'm sure your pieces will go over tremendously well!

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hi Gary,

A winner! I've always been fascinated by the sound of an able sax quartet coupled with music from the Baroque era. I remember (WAY back! ) some of my sax friends in college performing Bach and Corelli transcriptions -- a truly wonderful, rich sound.

You've done a great job achieving that same sonority here with the CMB saxes, and your rendering of the piece is first-rate, as usual. Congratulations on this piece being performed along with the others -- especially considering the noble cause involved. I'm sure your pieces will go over tremendously well!
    Dan,

Thanks for your kind comments. The sax is one of those terribly undervalued instruments that is really quite remarkable in the hand of true professionals. The others works or my doing are by Corelli and Garbieli. The Bach is a real endurance contest. I can't wait to hear it. I hope that they have a huge turnout for this worthwhile cause.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hey Gary,

Sax quartets are very neat, and I'm sure this will sound astounding with live players. Like Danny, I've had the pleasure of knowing a few sax quartet players.

Nice interpretation of the dynamics.

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Hey Gary,

Sax quartets are very neat, and I'm sure this will sound astounding with live players. Like Danny, I've had the pleasure of knowing a few sax quartet players.

Nice interpretation of the dynamics.

Best,
    Reegs
    Reegs,

Thanks for stopping by for a listen. Yeah a good quartet has a wonderful organ-like quality that is hard to beat. They add a warmth to a good concert band as well. And some of the literature that they can perform is amazing as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Another stunning arrangement Gary. This particular choice of instruments works extremely well with this G min fugue. Good luck with the concert. Will be returning to this later. Have to catch the early London train this morning - but what a great way to start the day.

Thanks for sharing, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    They add a warmth to a good concert band as well.

Gary
    As a horn player I am honor bound to disagree. All saxaphones add to a concert band is intonation problems and the ability to blend like a section of lawn mowers.

Taken by themselves the saxaphone is a great instrument, or in jazz where blend isn't as big a deal due to the limited number of instrument types involved and the style, etc. But in a concert band I'm just not a huge fan. Not the least reason of which is that arrangers insist on taking away horn parts and giving them to the alto saxes instead and giving the horns a new, watered down accompaniment line instead of the original melody in many transcriptions. We can't help it that it takes actual skill to play the horn and that any Joe Blow can pick up the alto sax - it is the easiest instrument on earth, after all.

But I'm not bitter, no...

All joking aside, this is a great transcription, Gary. A good sax quartet or ensemble can play some amazing things. I actually have a recording of the Nuclear Whales that I sometimes pull out just to hear some of the effects. And I also enjoy the Phillip Glass concerto for four saxes.

So I'm not all hate.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Another stunning arrangement Gary. This particular choice of instruments works extremely well with this G min fugue. Good luck with the concert. Will be returning to this later. Have to catch the early London train this morning - but what a great way to start the day.

Thanks for sharing, Graham
    Graham,

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comments. Yes it is a choice of instruments that works really well for this music. And if you think it sounds good here you should hear it live with the quartet...they are amazing! Glad that you enjoyed it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn
    As a horn player I am honor bound to disagree. All saxaphones add to a concert band is intonation problems and the ability to blend like a section of lawn mowers.

....snip..........

All joking aside, this is a great transcription, Gary. A good sax quartet or ensemble can play some amazing things. I actually have a recording of the Nuclear Whales that I sometimes pull out just to hear some of the effects. And I also enjoy the Phillip Glass concerto for four saxes.

So I'm not all hate.
    I don't which is easier to tune; a saxophone or a lawnmower. But I do know that in my writing I use horn and sax together and apart as appropriately as I can. Not everyone does or writes well for them. I personally would not want to be without them.

Glad that you enjoyed the transcription. I can't wait to hear it performed live this weekend.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Allow me a big round applause for you, Gary. This is gorgeous. I probably haven't ever heard a group of Saxes sounding so heavenly.

Really clever what you've done for this - And thanks for filling us in about the upcoming performance. Congrats--and bravo on the great work.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast