• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO: Junior's New Pet

GPO: Junior's New Pet

Hey there, here is what would have been my Halloween entry if I had finished it in time, but alas! I am so busy, I only just finished it this evening. It's just nice to have it done to share. I really enjoyed listening to everyone's entries this year. It really got me in the spirit, so to speak.

Almost everything here is GPO/JABB except the timp, some perc toys, and cymbals. I enlisted a bit of doubling from some Roland strings, but only as support in a couple places. Also the choir and the whistler are "proprietary."

Enjoy! ...and always poke holes in the lid.

Re: GPO: Junior's New Pet

Outstanding piece. Well written and beautifully rendered. I really set the scene for some creepy goings-on.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Excellent writing, Mr. Joe! I like your contra-bassoon work at the beginning. You blow good whistle too. Nice dynamics throughout the piece.

You are a fine, creative composer. Keep up the great work.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

Hi, JMC

Well it's too bad you didn't finish this in time for the Halloween contest, but good work sometimes can't be rushed - and this is certainly good work. Beyond good work!---It's very good.

So much to really savor in this. I haven't heard something using a whistler for a very long time. Care to share where that's from?

I'm curious why you didn't use the GPO Tymp, Cymbals or Perc toys? - They're great in the library. What you used are good too, but I'm just curious.

The scattering Pizz strings - marvelous - spidery and very creepy.

The command you show in this recording/rendering is extremely admirable. I'm sure glad you posted it for us!

Randy B.

Hey, Joe, talk about hitting the mark from one end
    to the other...lol -- this is excellent! What an
    incredibly wild ride this is... did you miss anyone
    on the way by?

I don't even know how to begin to talk about this
    one musically -- my eyebrows are probably plastered
    across Jupiter and I think my head's on backwards
    now... rofl.

I'm going to leave it at a very, very well deserved
    round of applause... quite a piece of work!

Always my best,

To me that its not that traditional suspens we are so used to hearing, but rather, something much more elegant, and well writting. I love it. It's so original. Bring us some good Christmas tunes!!!!!!I can't see Santa Clause in this image, unless it's evil robotic Santa from Futurama.

I think you get too movie halloweeny towards the end of the work. Just my taste. I felt like you had a great piece going, halloween or not, and then you became traditional movie suspense. But of course you suprised me with the Organs entrance.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Good! Very good!!!!! I add to this: GREAT ORCHESTRATION!!! Superb.

Thank you all for listening. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and thanks for the compliments, fiziwig.

Larry, you are too kind. I must say the inspiring and effortless way you write such brilliant counterpoint, gives us a level to aspire! Your bassoon piece was brilliant!

rbowser, the whistle is from a "proprietary" ... um, "library," meaning I set up a cheap mic in my studio and let my questionable sense of pitch be put on display for public scrutiny. I'm still questioning if I used the best take, or if I should used a combination of multiple takes to get the best result, but oh well.

I whistle all the time, and it was suggested that I somehow work whistling into my music. I had no choice but to oblige. I'd say that a reverby whistler and a theramin have a similar tongue-in-cheek creep factor. It's a lot of fun, and I would have done more with it here, but it was kind of a last minute decision, and I didn't have enough time.

The only reason I didn't use the GPO timp, toys, crash and susp cymbal is purely of personal taste. I don't know why, exactly, but just like to mix it up every now and again.

This is a great piece and a greater rendering. I don't
    think it is a "bone-chilling" experience, but it is amazingly

Really, really great writing, Joe. Just love your instrumentation
    choices and the roles they play.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Excellent work, and I really like the whistling!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast