• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: [OT] How do you do this effect?

[OT] How do you do this effect?

I love it, and thought I might use it in a piece I am working on.

Re: [OT] How do you do this effect?

I thing Korg electribe sampler had this implemented well, maybe ewen KAOS 2...

The simplest way is cut and paste as Simon said..
    Another way is to do this with very short sample loop points in a sampler...You can snapo all the small pieces that you need and make a looped sample out of those..you press a key it goes trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...LOL!

While we\'re at this topic, does anybody knows if there is a sampler where you can assign a contoler to a loop start or loop end, thus changing the loop start real time? Kontakt?

different names for this and different ways to do it

most people call it \"stutter\"

depending on what tools you have you can get different types of effects.

In Acid, you can do this quite easily, jsut repeat VERY small sections of the audio over and over. The cool thing about this is you can keep the stutters in tempo.

In a sampler you can set very small loop points and use ADSR to create the volume curves.

You can also use Granular syntheses (which can give you some crazy cool sounds). What this does is split the audio in to \"grains\" and manipulate these grains and their playback in multiple ways [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Using small grain sizes will give you this type of effect.

Also in some of the drums examples you shoed its not really stutter, its time stretching (which is basically done with simple granular synthesis)

wow I actualyl feel like I know waht I\'m talking about. I\'m an audio nerd...great.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

In kontakt you can have 8 loop positions and have playback cycle through them (setting a counter to how many times each loop playsback), you however cannot manually move loop positions during playback.

You can do this effect effortlessly with the new free VST plug-in called SuppaTrigga, by the extraordinary programmer Bram De Jong. You can download it here:

Just set the repeat parameter a high value, like 50%, and your audio material (audio track or VSTi) will stutter (and do other things, like play in reverse, in a different time position, etc). Particularly effective on rhythmical materials, like drumloops. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

PS: If you really like it, please send him so money via PayPal.

...or you can play back your existing source material with your audio card set to the wrong master clock or sample rate. It sounds kind of like that. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Sounds like some of that stuttering was done to a single tracks (like the vocal) and some of it was done to the whole mix.

Blue -

I don\'t know if you\'re planning to keep using Cubase VST at all, or what version of Logic you\'re using on the Mac - but if you\'re on OS9, Pluggo has an outstanding Stutterer... I\'ve used it a lot, and it\'s quite flexible. Supposedly the OSX VST & AU versions will be out very soon.

I think that SFX MachineRT has a stutterer in one of its presets as well (an _outstanding_ plug-in, and it\'s already out as an AU), but I haven\'t played with that preset yet...

I downloaded Bram\'s new VST plug-in this week; it sounds promising, but that\'s another plug I need to get time with as well. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Everyone.

Thank you so much for all of the helpful replies. I am experimenting now between using the scissors tool, the SupaTrigg plug-in, and even the Maelstrom graintable synth in Reason. SupaTrigg seems promising so far, but I\'ve got to figure out how to shorten its feedback time, which seems to default to one whole bar.

This board is truly a community in the best sense of the word. I can ask all kinds of questions here without being made to feel stoopid. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks again.

SupaTrigg seems promising so far, but I\'ve got to figure out how to shorten its feedback time, which seems to default to one whole bar.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey BlueScreen,

You just have to change the very first parameter in STrigger. The larger the number - ie: 8, 16 or 32 - the smaller the portion of audio will be affected, as in every 8th note, or 16th, etc.

Another fun thing to do with this sort of thing is to set the filter to open up more and more as you increase the velocity of the repeated note,
    if you are triggering the slices via a sampler.

Adjust the resonance to taste. Play with the panning as well. It is commonly found in D n\' Bass styles. Check out early Squarepusher, Plug, Clifford Gliberto etc.....

I have had interestingly musical results looping snares and such to different note values and also piching them.

The possiblities are endless.....That\'s just midi I described, audio has it\'s own possibilities which have been far more eloquently suggested in the posts above this.

Happy editing,

Go Back to forum