• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No. 1 mv 2 "Pure Land"

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No. 1 mv 2 "Pure Land"

This is an older piece, but since I'm in the middle of alot fo "cleanup work", thought I'd post this for now. Thanks for listening.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...7&content=song

Re: Symphony No. 1 mv 2 "Pure Land"

Hi there,

Fully enjoyed this work! It greatly displays the full spectrum of composition from the simplistic to the fully textured. The brass seems to find their way in and create room to give wonderful support and accompaniment. The ending string line coupled with the underlining progressions made for a very satisfying finale. Wonderful!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Karen:

As I listened, I felt this could be an organ piece transcribed
    for orchestra. I don't know if you ever thought of it that way,
    but the choral-like structure and the occassional antiphonal
    instrumentation leads me to this conclusion.

Also, I hear no percussion which would negate my first impression.

A nice piece and something I would go back to if the spirit moves
    you..............lol. It has a lot of possibilities and, with the time
    you have invested already, would really enhance this work.

BRAVO, Karen

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks Michael and Jack!

Well, who knows, I might go back to it -- but am so busy right now, who knows when? It's interesting that you thought it could be an organ work (I love the organ though I don't play it). This was only my second attempt at anything orchestral, so you're probably hearing that "newbie" sound and it probably would benefit from a second look.

Now the reason there is so llittle percussion, is that, as I think I have mentioned in another post, is that I am a percussion IDIOT! LOL! I'm getting a little better but still a long way to go.

Anybody remember the old "Who" album "Quadrophenia"? And the song on it "Love, Reign O'er Me"? If you remember it, and have time, listen again to the very end of this movement. The riff in the high strings is the same one as in that song. I always loved it. (Hope using a riff is not a copyright "viol"-ation. I don't think so, but I'm new at all that sort of thing....)

Thanks again for listening, guys.

I'd listened to this some time back, Karen. I hadn't
    picked up on what Jack said about the organ-like
    writing approach to it -- but I certainly don't think
    that in any way detracts from the piece... indeed,
    the nicely clear sectional distinctions add, for me,
    a great deal to the piece, and seem quite fitting.

Overally, this is a lovely pastorale; and for me,
    particularly interesting... I can hear all of the stylistic
    elements latent in this that now appear in later
    works, gradually developing into a very identifiable
    idiom.

Nice job on this. I think it would be well worth-
    while to go back over it and give it some sprucing
    in rendering, etc., as it stands quite well as a very
    listenable, enjoyable movement.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Karen, I had intended to say awhile back how much I enjoy this piece. The rendering of it is sounding much better than what you apologetically describe in your post. In fact, I think it sounds just great.

- Dang, I love "Quadrophenia" but didn't catch the quote from it that you mentioned. If that particular SoundClick player had full transport controls, I could play the ending a few times to pick it out.

I tend at times to feel a bit invisible on these threads, and I think that's why I didn't reply earlier. Well, maybe you'll notice that you have another happy listener for this one.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Karen, I had intended to say awhile back how much I enjoy this piece. The rendering of it is sounding much better than what you apologetically describe in your post. In fact, I think it sounds just great.

- Dang, I love "Quadrophenia" but didn't catch the quote from it that you mentioned. If that particular SoundClick player had full transport controls, I could play the ending a few times to pick it out.

I tend at times to feel a bit invisible on these threads, and I think that's why I didn't reply earlier. Well, maybe you'll notice that you have another happy listener for this one.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hey Randy,

The soundclick has a little tiny diamond that moves as it plays -- you can grab that and drag it to where you want, at least on my browser -- try it!

You're not invisible to me (not to many others, I am certain of that!!!) I hope I have not accidentally missed something you've said. I've been in a rough space til recently. I feel bad that I have not listened to more of your music lately -- part of the reason is that I am swamped and part is that I KNOW all your stuff is good, no joke. I've been trying to listen to some folks who are new or who I don't know as well.

Thanks for your response on my whining about contracts. I re-thought a bit, talked it over with a friend, and so on. But seriously, taking all this into account, though I am tempted to sign it, when I am honest with myself, I really don't want to have to keep track of it, because I've never done it before and I am not savvy business-wise. It's frightening to me, frankly. I am not set up to handle that sort of thing, and to do that for one contract, on the off-off chance that the Thomas name would give me an advantage when I am unknown and unperformed, well it's a long shot. Plus if no money comes to them from it in 3 years, I lose the right anyway. All that seemd too complex and I don't want to get a lawyer and my music publisher doesn't do choral music. Plus, I had already added my own words. I'm sorry, Randy, if I sounded snippy to you -- you're hearing fear and confusion -- feeling like i'm a little child that's just been dropped in a jungle with no map!!!!!

I always pay attention to your posts when I see them.

I have been so busy lately -- final edits on two scores to be published, finishing and cleaning up 8 more for various possible venues and contacts (and all on a big learning curve). Several times I wanted to send you an email, but didn't -- you know. I value your friendship and you always have my support.

Isn't your show soon? I forgot the exact date, but whenever it is, I am sending all my best wishes for a stunning success, as I am sure it will be. Be of good cheer, my friend! Best to you and your lady also.

Karen

All is well, Karen - I'm not really sure why I said that earlier about feeling invisible at times. It's an unusually difficult day today -My lady Kate's mother is dying, probably within the next few hours. Kate and her siblings all have gathered at the hospital in Arizona, and I'm staying in contact via phone. - I've found myself saying and doing several unpredictable things the last day couple of days. Feeling off-balance, nervous and contemplative at the same time--that's my excuse.

But we all do what we can with our music, with visiting the Forum, and we're in different emotional states on different days. Everything is always in flux.

Admiring, as always of your great music, Karen. And thanks for asking about "Dorian" - goes up this coming April, auditions not until January.

--Now, returning to the point of this thread, the wonderful "Pure Land."---SoundClick player looks different than it used to- I don't have a "little diamond" to click on. Oh well!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Randy,

I changed the place I go to for songs -- to a page that gives the background first. (has my picture and song desc and lyrics iff applicable,etc.)

Then from that page, click the "hi-fi" play button and the player you are used to seeing will come up.

On te very bottom of that player, just under the name of the piece, see the little diamond that moves along as it plays? If you put your mouse over that, it changes color and then you can clcik and drag it to wherever in the piece you wish.

I am so sorry you and Kate are going through such a rough time. My prayers are with you both.

I'm excited for you re: the play! Wish I could see it. I'm sure it is smashing. Dorian Grey was one of my favorite readings in college.

Your friend,
    Karen

Karen:
    I was having no luck trying to listen to your piece but then
    I read your explanation to Randy and tried again. I am a total dunderhead as I didn't realize that the little diamond turned UP the volume so I was able to hear your piece. I'm glad I kept trying.
    What delightful music you write. Each note and chord follows each other exactly as they should. What a gift you have. Treasure it and continue to use it as you do.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

sos

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast