• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with MOTU Symphonic Instrument

Share/Bookmark

Help with MOTU Symphonic Instrument

Hello all;

My first post to this forum. I've asked the queation elsewhere, but haven't gotten answers. I understand it's not an uncommon issue, but:

I have graphics issues with my MOTu MSi. When I open the standalone program, there is just the borders of the GUI, and my desktop wallpaper behind it. Nothing else. program is frozen.

If I drag the program to me second monitor, the same issue is present, but if I click anywhere in the interface, the program appears, and i can use it normally.

Opening the program as VST in Sonar presents similar issues, except that I can't get the interface to show up on either monitor. I have a separate boot for my DAW and audio apps. No internet, messaging, antivirus, anything.

So i'm narrowing this down to be a graphics card issue. I use an ATI Radeon 9600 128MB AGP with the latest drivers 7.1.0 (no catalyst software) and Direct X ver.9.0 Windows SP1.

MOTU's FAQ's suggest updating the graphics card drivers to the most current version. that's all they say.

Any ideas?

Thanks...........

Anthony

Re: Help with MOTU Symphonic Instrument

Anthony,

I have MOTU Ethnic Instrument and ocasionally have similar problems. I am also a 3D artist and have fought with graphic cards forever. I hate to suggest it but perhaps try another graphics card? Make sure you have the latest drivers etc and see if there is an update patch at the MOTU site. I have a feeling that MOTU designed too elaborate of an interface that may be using too many bit-planes for the graphics.

Good luck,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

One suggestion:

Click on your sonar-window to the brink and move it (by holding the right mouse buttem) over to the other monitor. So you have one big Sonar-graphik at both Monitors. Than open your VST instrument and move it to the other monitor..... .

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    Anthony,

I have MOTU Ethnic Instrument and ocasionally have similar problems. I am also a 3D artist and have fought with graphic cards forever. I hate to suggest it but perhaps try another graphics card? Make sure you have the latest drivers etc and see if there is an update patch at the MOTU site. I have a feeling that MOTU designed too elaborate of an interface that may be using too many bit-planes for the graphics.

Good luck,

Darren
    The only other card I have is a Matrox Millenium G450 dual head PCI 16MB.Do you have any suggestions for cards?.That stinks that it happens with Ethnic instrument as well. I was thinking of getting that as well!

Thanks for the help..........

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    One suggestion:

Click on your sonar-window to the brink and move it (by holding the right mouse buttem) over to the other monitor. So you have one big Sonar-graphik at both Monitors. Than open your VST instrument and move it to the other monitor..... .

Gunther
    Thanks Gunther, I'll try that............

I would also suggest contacting MOTU's Tech Support, not just the FAQs.

Thanks for all your replies. I believe I have solved the problem by playing with the hardware accelerator settings. I had to disable all the 3D drawing . The slider is now about 3/4 of the way to the left, and voila! the MOTU interface appears, both as a standalone and in Sonar.

Now, for that Ethnic Instrument..............

Go Back to forum