• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "The Picture of Innocence" - from my stage musical "DORIAN GRAY"

Share/Bookmark

"The Picture of Innocence" - from my stage musical "DORIAN GRAY"

"The Picture of Innocence"
    (click title for MP3)
    and please read notes below about the recording

Act Two of "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray" has just begun. The Chorus has informed us that 20 years have passed since the end of Act One. It's now 1900.

Basil Hallward painted Dorian's portrait 20 years ago and hasn't seen the younger man very often for the past two decades. Basil is moving to Paris, in hopes of finding fresh inspiration for his paintings. But before going, he wants to report that horrible rumors are swirling around London concerning Dorian.

Dorian is bored and tired, but manages to maintain his innocent looking countenance in the face of Basil's recounting of the rumors (which are all true). But feeling pressed and cornered by the ensuing argument, he finally decides to take Basil up to the attic where he has hidden the strange painting which now looks like a monster. It's the image of the creature immortal Dorian would be if nature had its course.
    -------
    This MP3 is a special version of the song done just for the Forum. Since it's not possible to post good vocal demos yet (the up-coming production isn't cast until January) - I used two solo instruments to play the melody lines.

The Garritan Strad is playing Basil's vocal line, and I didn't tailor it to be a proper instrumental solo - wanting it to accurately play the singer's vocal line. When Dorian joins in the number, he is represented by a Flugelhorn from JABB.

Here is the same piece without these stand-in vocal lines, for those interested in what the backing track will actually sound like on stage:

This is a scene set to music, as is typical of this semi-operatic stage musical. It makes the piece something of a medley. There are 5 distinct sections:

1)--Basil pleading with Dorian.

2)--1:38 Dorian first responds and the number segues into
    the second section which begins at 1:43. This calmer segment is akin to operatic recitative. You'll notice this quality in the often non-melodic, talking quality of the melody lines.

3)--3:10 A return to the opening segment, this time with Dorian singing argumentative responses in counterpoint to Basil.

4)--4:20--Simmering to a low boil, the argument continues with this new transitional section, the two men carrying on a sung dialogue.

5)--5:09 Is underscoring for the dialogue that ends the scene, as Dorian picks up a candlestick to light the way as he takes Basil up to the dreaded attic where the painting is kept.

As with the entire sound-track I've recorded for the show, the primary sound source is GPO.

IMAGE NOTE: This is a portrait from the 1890's which I've adapted in Photo Shop for this post.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: "The Picture of Innocence" - from my stage musical "DORIAN GRAY"

Another winner. You've done a marvelous job with this whole production so far. I'm really getting anxious to see this on stage!
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

OH my goodness--you actually startled me, Gary!

I just now put up the post, and had just gotten through listening again to the MP3 link, when your response came in--You were like, Right there. - !--

I am really looking forward to meeting you when you come to see the show. Let me know what your favorite drink is so I can buy one for you. And with luck, we'll be tipping one or two with other Garritan Forum members--Maybe Gary himself if he can squeeze it into his busy schedule.

Glad you like this! It will be a great experience to finally hear singing performers dig into material like in this argument number.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This is excellent! I wish I lived closer to Oregon. I would love to watch this musical. Will you post a recording with real vocals in the spring? I would love to hear it with actual voices.

~ Lydia

Well hello there, Lydia! Just a second ago, I replied to the post you put up in response to Jeremy's Garritan radio thread--I asked why you haven't posted more of your music here?!

Thank you so much--I'm glad you like this. Since January I've been slowly but surely posting all the music from my show. Once in awhile, I've put up what vocal demos I have also.

We'll be recording a cast album with this premiere cast once the show closes - I'd love to post at least some snippets from that once we have it (after May next year) - but "Dorian" is an on-going venture, and I can't really make it all freely available online.

Thanks again for your interest and your wonderful reply. Wish you could make it to the show too!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    OH my goodness--you actually startled me, Gary!

I just now put up the post, and had just gotten through listening again to the MP3 link, when your response came in--You were like, Right there. - !--

I am really looking forward to meeting you when you come to see the show. Let me know what your favorite drink is so I can buy one for you. And with luck, we'll be tipping one or two with other Garritan Forum members--Maybe Gary himself if he can squeeze it into his busy schedule.

Glad you like this! It will be a great experience to finally hear singing performers dig into material like in this argument number.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Lucky coincidence. I was watching a movie and took a break to check the forum, and there was your post! As for favorite drink, I'm a big Oregon microbrew fan. I look forward to getting together over a tall glass of suds.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Randy, just wonderful! Although we're listening sans lyrics, I can clearly hear the pain and anguish of the protaganists nonetheless (in a very good way!). Musically, the level of intrigue just continues to grow; I heard just a bit of a hint of My Favorite Things (more the Coltrane version than Julie Andrews, I think!) in the opening section, although your unique style is certainly imbued throughout this number. I loved the piccolo writing at the end -- great-sounding stuff!

Hi again Randy,

I will do a search for your previous threads so that I can listen to more from the musical.

~ Lydia

Ah! My latest fix of Dorian G. (I'm becoming an addict, Randy.)

Another superb installment, my friend!

The violin and flugel horn did fine service as the voices, by the
    way -- very easy to follow that way.

Much applause!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary "Fiziwig"--A micro it is! The state of Oregon is certainly awash with excellent ones.

Danny "DDW" - That's great, that the pained confrontation could be heard in the piece, I appreciate you saying that. "Favorite Things"--!---LOL, iiiinteresting!

Lydia "Crystallions," I'm so glad you'd like to hear the earlier posts. I would gather them handily into one area, but have some concerns about making it all too easily accessible - I've been advised against posting Any of this. While I think that would be overly paranoid, a bit of caution seems prudent.

If you click my name in a post, then User Profile, you can then click to see all threads I've started. Most of the posts from "Dorian" are labeled as such, though not all. The opening number was posted back in January - You should be able to find it and other posts. Thanks!

David "Et Lux" - You say you're becoming a "Dorian" addict? AAaah, I think you were hooked months ago. Thanks much for your visit and reply --And thank you Very much for letting me know you think the instrumental soloists worked as vocal stand-ins. There are segments of this number without any of the vocal melodies in the accompaniment, and I felt it would be especially incomplete to not include them somehow. Glad that experiment worked.

Thank you all!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast