• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1980 BBC special on John Williams scoring Star Wars - Fascinating!!

Share/Bookmark

1980 BBC special on John Williams scoring Star Wars - Fascinating!!

Greetings - it's been some time since I posted anything around here...haven't felt like saying much lately, here and just generally. But I stumbled on this wonderful video on google/youtube and have to share it (if someone hasn't already beat me to it). It's all about John Williams, with lots of studio footage with the orchestra, conversations and comments by JW, Lucas, Spielberg, etc - comparisons to other Williams scores - I think it's just great.

it's in 6 10-minute parts, but they're all listed and clearly marked...enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SonS8tQ2zA

Re: 1980 BBC special on John Williams scoring Star Wars - Fascinating!!

that is so awesome to watch, but at the same time a little depressing - it makes me realize that i could never do anything like that.

i'm a huuuuuuge john williams fan, hes probably my favorite composer, so it was an extra treat to watch and i encourage everyone else to give it a look. thanks for posting this.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Good find Josh ... thanks!

an interesting link indeed...thanks for pointing this one out!

I only wished to watch/hear that in a better quality than the utube-clips...

anyway good stuff

john williams is the best!

Thanks for the great link! so insightful! got any more anyone?

Cool! Thanks for posting the link. I'm a John Williams fan as well. (Actually, I'm also a Star Wars fan, big time!! LOL ).

I see that there's 6 parts to this interview with John Williams. Saw the first part and thought it quite informative. I'm going to go back a view the remaining 5 parts as time permits.

I have TWO questions to ask, though, related to John Williams and film composition.

1) Is not the first couple of measures to the Star Wars theme taken from the song, "Born Free" but inverted?? It seems to be. Way back when I was studying film composition a few fellow students commented that John Williams "stole" the Star Wars theme from Born Free. (Maybe the answer can be found within the remaining interviews with John Williams on the YouTube channel??)

2) I noticed the movieola (sp??) pictured in the background of the interview. I learned film composition on a similar movieola (sp??) 25+ years ago. Now my second question (directed to the newer film composers and students of film composition). Are these things still used (when everything is all digital)??? Do they still teach the film score students how to use movieolas (sp??)?? Honestly. . . I'm just curious.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum