• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A Prayer For Kilimanjaro

Share/Bookmark

A Prayer For Kilimanjaro

Hello everyone.

This past weekend, I took a break from everything and relaxed on the patio with a book of Hemingway short stories and a glass of Long Island iced tea. After reading The Snows of Kilimanjaro (my favorite, I think), I did just a modest bit of online research on the mountain itself... just curiosity.

Although I had read some time before that the glacier field atop Kilimanjaro was disappearing, I didn't realize at what an alarming rate it was doing so. Apparently, the entire glacier will be gone by 2012 (the result of either global warming or the warming of the mountain itself from imminent eruption), tremendously endangering the livelihood of the many farming tribes and villages surrounding the mountain. Sadly, we are about to lose one of nature's spectacular iconic beauties -- with potentially disastrous results.

As the weekend wound down, I was just playing around with some GPO sounds I hadn't yet used, and put together a very quick, short piece with the fate of the mountain and the region very firmly sitting in the back of my mind.

This is A Prayer for Kilimanjaro.
    (GPO English Horn, strings, harp, mallet perc., bass flute, JABB accordian and a Korg Wavestation pad).

http://dannywilliamsmusic.com/Kilimanjaro.mp3

Thanks for listening.

Re: A Prayer For Kilimanjaro

Wow! I wish I could write half this length in such a short time...
    This is absolutely beautiful! And the name fits it, as right from the start you get into the mood of prayer. Also loved the instrumentation!
    Thanks.

Yudit

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird
    Wow! I wish I could write half this length in such a short time...
    This is absolutely beautiful! And the name fits it, as right from the start you get into the mood of prayer. Also loved the instrumentation!
    Thanks.

Yudit
    Thanks very much for listening, Yudit, and for your kind remarks. As for the instrumentation, I should mention that I left out the French Horn section in my list (whoops!).

Danny

Way to go, Mr. Danny! Fine writing job! (I caught your "scoop" in the flute part. Love it!)

An all around nice compositional mood-setter. Thanks for posting it for us to hear. I enjoyed it.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thumbs up Re: A Prayer For Kilimanjaro

Wholly Cripes! This is beautiful! The use of everything musical and more leaves me speechless! Man ... This evokes so much emotional change. I'm going to just sit and listen and the heck with technical carp.
    More! More dang it all More!

That's five star! *****!
    Styxx

I had tears in my eyes when I listened to this the first time.....it is unbelieveably beautiful !!!! Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

So beautifully scored. I love your ethnical percussion. Andgood use of harp. Beautiful writing. Not enough english horn stuff out there.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Hi Danny,

Very nice work. A lot of reserved passion and beauty, ready to burst forth, but calmly kept in place. Excellent orchestration, and a very nice listen. Will it be extended? It seemed to have ended much too soon!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

It is worth a picture

Nice job!!!!

Raymond

Danny, you never disappoint, do you... this is
    exquisite work, my friend; subtly orchestrated,
    perfectly rendered, with a restrained hand that
    says all the more for fewer words, well chosen.

With Jamie, though, it leaves one yearning; a
    supplication that, if complete of itself, yet invites
    further thought.

Perhaps you might consider (nudge, hint, etc.)
    Three Prayers for Kilimanjaro...?

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast