• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows XP updates - safe?

Share/Bookmark

Windows XP updates - safe?

I installed Windows XP and service pack 1 then all music related programs. Now is it safe to download all the windows updates and security patches? Are there any known problems this might trigger with software like GigaStudio? Or is it safe to go ahead and download the updates?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Windows XP updates - safe?

Originally posted by vash:
    I installed Windows XP and service pack 1 then all music related programs. Now is it safe to download all the windows updates and security patches? Are there any known problems this might trigger with software like GigaStudio? Or is it safe to go ahead and download the updates?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If your machine has any access to the internet (or the internet to it), then download them all. The updates fix vulnerabilities, but also call attention to them...literally announcing the vulnerability to the hacking community. So, if you don\'t update, you are actually at increasing risk. Malicious individuals actually COUNT on the fact that people won\'t religiously apply the security upgrades...one reason Microsoft tries to make it an automatic process. However, in applications like ours, automatic/scheduler processes are counterproductive, so we must just remember to maintain our security regularly.

I will do so ASAP. I just got all the music applications working properly so I was a bit apprehensive that the XP updates might screw up something. Thanks Bruce.

The only problems that I\'ve found with Windows Updates have been the drivers. On a few of occasions the drivers that WU recommended either weren\'t compatible, or were just plain bad. This occurred just last week on a pair of machines at work with the Asus A7V8X motherboards. WU recommended the nVidia multimedia driver and app upgrades, which promptly messed things up. For those of us with the on-board sound chips turned off, that may not be an issue.

Anyway, if you see WU recommending a driver update, it\'s probably best to go to the hardware manufacturer\'s website, get their latest driver, and install it manually. At least then you know that it really matches the hardware that you own.

Very timely info. I\'m presently setting up my new system. I\'ve wondered why a directory (empty) named WU has appeared several times. I now realize it is left over from Windows Update.

Lawrence

Hi Vash, basically John already said it; stay away from the drivers. It is best to go straight to the respective manufacturers websites for your sound, video, etc, drivers.

Many of the non-critical updates are garbage too. \"Some tool to help you do blah...\" remember the more you install on your system, the more you effectively bog it down.

The updates you apply can be uninstalled or rolled back from memory, so there shouldnt be an issue with them.

Regards, Scott.

Go Back to forum