• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Topic: Mp3 and glitch

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question Mp3 and glitch

    Hi,

    Is it possible that a .song which sounds ok in wav format has glitches in loud parts once it's translated to a mp3 format ?

    I sent my songs to an online store and the clips (Mp3 128Kbps) they made for approval are very loud and look compressed. The background noise in soft melodies is more apparent than my Cd version. Could it be compressed ?


    Any comment would be greatly appreciated,

    SergeD

  2. #2

    Re: Mp3 and glitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Serge
    Hi,

    Is it possible that a .song which sounds ok in wav format has glitches in loud parts once it's translated to a mp3 format ?

    I sent my songs to an online store and the clips (Mp3 177Kbps) they made for approval are very loud and look compressed. The background noise in soft melodies is more apparent than my Cd version. Could it be compressed ?

    SergeD
    It may sound worse because it's been compressed, EQd, and / or normalised before or (worse) after conversion; moreover, they may have done something yucky with the conversion -- used a weak algorithm. You could consider converting yourself using Peak Pro or any of half a dozen very good audio programs that allow conversion. That way you would be providing the MP3s yourself. I would never let someone else do this if it didn't sound great -- you owe it to yourself to put the best possible version of your music out there. Just think of your time that you put into these things!

    Good luck with it.
    Kind regards,

    John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

  3. #3

    Re: Mp3 and glitch

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    That way you would be providing the MP3s yourself. I would never let someone else do this if it didn't sound great -- you owe it to yourself to put the best possible version of your music out there. Just think of your time that you put into these things!

    Good luck with it.
    Thanks John,

    Good suggestion. You're so right about all the time spent on it. I tested encoding a piece at 128 Kbps with RazorLame and really how can we mess it if done with no Bells and Whistles ?

    SergeD

  4. #4

    Re: Mp3 and glitch

    Actually, when you convert a super loud wav to mp3, I have regularly experienced distortion-- I've been using Adobe Audition to convert .wav's to .mp3's, which I believe is a pretty decent piece of software.

    What I do to avoid problems is normalize the .wav file to -.2 dB before converting, that usually solves the problem.

    I'm sure theres a technical explanation as to WHY this happens, but I don't know it. Hope that helps!

    -Alex

  5. #5

    Re: Mp3 and glitch

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis
    Actually, when you convert a super loud wav to mp3, I have regularly experienced distortion--
    -Alex
    Thanks alex, I will experiment with all loudest parts of my pieces.

    SergeD

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •