• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can someone please develop a decent Hammond B-3 VI?

Share/Bookmark

Cool Can someone please develop a decent Hammond B-3 VI?

Hi

I have a Hammond B-3 and really don't like carting it around for non-Organ Trio gigs. I've played with NI B4 II but frankly, it's miles off the real thing - especially the Leslie sim.

I want a post-'64 B-3 (Mylar caps) VI with a 122 Leslie sim that actually sounds authentic. Clavia have just about done it in the hardware domain with their Nord C1 Combo Organ - so it's obviously possible using software.

If it's really good, I'd happily pay up to $500 for it.

First person to come up with the goods gets my dosh.

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Can someone please develop a decent Hammond B-3 VI?

Hi Steve. I'm not an organist or even a virtuoso keyboardist though I use B4 ll in my compositions. I would be very interested in knowing exactly what deficiencies you notice in the instrument. I have several friends who are organists and use it in different genres, and who swear by it when compared with lugging around the 500lb monster. I owned a couple of the VOCE models and to me this version is heavenly. Regards.
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

I think the problem lies with the Leslie and the amp simulation, not with the B4 VI.

Maybe a combination of B4 and a good amp sim, such as Amplitude, might be the approach? You could also try outputting your VI through a hardware leslie sim, like that from Hughes & Kettner.

Maybe you could search some more forums to find out other people's approaches?

Good luck!

try the stuff produced by creamware
    you can find as a plugin for creamware pulsar/luna/scope or as a standalone hardware box

http://asb.creamware.com/index.php?l...ame=12&group=3

b2003
    http://www.soniccore.com/plugins_en.htm

their simulations are still the best you can find nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    I think the problem lies with the Leslie and the amp simulation, not with the B4 VI.

Maybe a combination of B4 and a good amp sim, such as Amplitude, might be the approach? You could also try outputting your VI through a hardware leslie sim, like that from Hughes & Kettner.
    I would agree with this. The B4 II Leslie sim is sort of OK but only in mono, and buried deeply in a mix. The different Leslie cabinet emulations also do some wierd and not so wonderful things to the organ EQ which are not authentic. The dry organ itself isn't that bad though -- I have a couple of C-3's and and XK-3, and the dry B4 sound is better than the XK-3.

One thing I've been meaning to have a closer look at is the Leslie sim that comes as a plugin with Cubase. Plenty of tweaking potential there, and my intial recollection was that, in stereo, it was OK. I seem to recall hearing elsewhere about this as well.

One day someone will build something good. Talk to Spectrasonics!

This is probably an impossible request, as no B-3s sound alike, although there are ideals that many of us strive to obtain. I've had a similar struggle, and I've settled on a Nord Electro Rack for most applications, although it's a little bright and gritty for some music. The Roland products are very bright, the Korgs a bit muddy (to my ear), and software simulations seem a little unresponsive somehow (I don't mean latency). Somehow the Voce never did much for me. I have a Hammond XK2, and darned if I don't have to turn the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up on the instrument, then boost the mids with eq. to get things right, then run it through a Tube Rotosphere to avoid the horrible on-board leslie and distortion simulators. The Nord is much better for solo lines, and it has a good leslie simulator and useable distortion. They should develop a VST version. I've even used the Emu B-3 module, just for the hollow R and B settings that it has, along with some effects. The Emu was a big disappointment, as John Novello contributed to its development and it offers none of the fullness and power of his recorded sound. What a hobby this quest is...worse than model train collecting.

Thanks for all the replies. I do think that it's the Leslie part of the chain that lets all these clones down. Leslies do so much to the sound - not only do they remove a huge chunk of frequencies, they also litterally throw the sound around a room, which in itself produces many new resonances. I have an additional direct out on my B-3 which allows me to play the organ with headphones - I can honestly say that the tone is fairly basic and uninteresting in its direct form.

I'm starting to think that there may still be life in the old B4 dog yet, if I give up on the Leslie sim and either get a preamp for my 122 or one of the new Hammond Leslies with jack input (expensive!).

I had hoped to reference the Nord C1 via the following link as an example of what can be achieved with clone + real Leslie, however the link appears to be down :-(

http://www.clavia.se/soundbites/nord_c1_05.mp3

Steve

There is one called VB3 The Ultimate Virtual Tonewheel Organ v1.1 by Soundfonts.it. I haven't tried it myself but they do have a trial version. I think it costs around $60 for the full version. Here's a link to their site: http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=read&b=24

Jim

Buy a Creamware ASB w/drawbars.....http://www.creamware.com/page.php?se...n&submenu=home

I use the DSP model the ASB is based on, and have a set of custom faders ( drawbars ). Mine comes w/ the 600 USD DSP card that is a high quality sound card w/ great devices. I heard and saw Hans Zimmers rig and had to have one. I have used these live and in the studio for 7 years !! Since the soundcards are DSP based, the CPU is no biggie. I have a friend who still uses his Tualatin 1.4 PIII live for years now w/ zero crashes. The ASB is for use w/o a computer, I prefer my DAW and choice of controllers though.

The trick is to use a rotary cabinet like the Pro 3T, or you could still use the ASB's emulation which is passable. But guys like you and I know the difference.

Plus the whole card and plug cost a mere 600 bucks. There's one on ebay for next to nothing right now. Just hook up an old internet box w/ a PII or PIII or PIV and your good to go. It has a high quality sound, as I also used a B3 for years, then lost the road crew, hence the B.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum