• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legal Dept: Prince Threatens to Sue Fans over Online Lyrics/Images

Share/Bookmark

Legal Dept: Prince Threatens to Sue Fans over Online Lyrics/Images

Prince has threatened to take legal action against fan-run websites unless they remove photographs of him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7082684.stm

I wonder if this is the best way to endear an artist to their most loyal fans.
    "He has threatened to sue thousands of his biggest fans for breach of copyright, provoking an angry backlash and claims of censorship. His lawyers have forced his three biggest internet fansites to remove all photographs, images, lyrics, album covers and anything linked to the artist's likeness. A legal letter asks the fansites to provide "substantive details of the means by which you propose to compensate our clients [Paisley Park Entertainment Group, NPG Records and AEG] for damages"

Re: Legal Dept: Prince Threatens to Sue Fans over Online Lyrics/Images

wow - Set in motion by an overly zealous lawyer or two on his team? One wonders how Prince himself actually feels about all this, and if he had anything to do with this legal action.

But I have the same problem you know, darned fans all over the world insisting on putting up all these fansites with pictures of me and sound files and all sorts of annoyingly adoring stuff.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

That is truely weird! Randy probably hit the nail, that Prince (is he no longer formerly?) probably was not the initiator of this action. A fansite without any pics is going to be kinda strange, i would think.

The story indicates that he banned cameras and all photos at his UK concerts, had bags searched, etc, even announced that cell phone pictures were forbidden, but that photos surfaced anyway. Perhaps next time he should consider just requiring anyone who wants to attend to post a bond. Bet that would rid him of all those pesky fans.

Howard

Looks like Prince is becoming the Keith Jarrett of pop music. And for those of you that blame the lawyers: Do you honestly think that his lawyers would initiate anything without getting his approval first? C'mon....

The only Prince I know is my neighbor's dog. His barking is better than P.O.D's singing.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    The story indicates that he banned cameras and all photos at his UK concerts, had bags searched, etc, even announced that cell phone pictures were forbidden, but that photos surfaced anyway. Perhaps next time he should consider just requiring anyone who wants to attend to post a bond. Bet that would rid him of all those pesky fans.

Howard
    I think that a simple EULA signing for every attendant of the concert should suffice.

The owner of this ticket shall

NOT take photos
    NOT use any photos taken to publish them online or offline
    NOT make any profit from the published photos
    PAY taxes for all profit made.

Oh wait...

Next, he will demand that people will have to buy his albums everytime they will want to listen. A new discovery: the 1 use album: Listen to the album once and it self destructs. Want to listen again? You have to rebuy.

Sorry that I can't stay serious at such news...

Could they have been commercial fansites, almost like tabloids, that seek more to exploit his image than actually give true fans useful information? After glancing over the sites in question, it doesn't look like it...

Why would he ban photos? If it were a classical concert, photo taking would disrupt the performance. But at a Prince concert? What's to be gained by banning photography?

Fortunately, this particular case is nothing to worry about... I mean... it's Prince.

As Prince Charles said on the Rather Late Programme: "No, I don't like Prince. I like Elvis, because he's the king... and I want to be the king."
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

(stifled snort behind hand while averting eyes and doubling over)
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum