• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Demo, orchestral, VSL

Share/Bookmark

Demo, orchestral, VSL

http://www.wisemanproject.com/demo/030704ken-p.mp3

Today, I changed my sequencer from Cubase 4.0 to Sonar. This is the first piece that I used Sonar....
    I am still confused with some of the differences between two programs, but overall I am happy with Sonar.

Every sound except piano and windchime is from VSL.

p.s.
    I found that it is very difficult to use VSL Oboe, because of a lack of vibrato...

Re: Demo, orchestral, VSL

Oboe with vibrato is for the Pro edition or free upgrade

You\'re only using the Cube for this, right?

Strings - Cube only
    Other - cube and pf

Originally posted by Ken-P:
    Other - cube and pf [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just asking because I wasn\'t certain wether you used the pf set for the clarinet, for example. Normally the legato intervals are reasonably audible.

Ken....Sounds great! I really love the VSL strings... so \"smooth\"! Keep up the good work!
    Gary [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Nice one! Again... hehe - May I ask for the reason why you switched?

Hansi

A very nice interlude, a refreshing reverie with obvious pastoral associations. We all approach phrasing differently of course, I think I would have faded the oboe note tail at 00:19, seems a bit abrupt, but that’s just how I see it.

Tasteful instrumentation, dynamic rendering, etc. VSL woods, horn are great as usual, but I personally do not like the strings, there is a strident element that turns me off. IMHO, a piece like this requires the support of a smaller, lyrical string ensemble, there is an intensity here that doesn’t seem totally compatible with the character of this passage.

Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by gungnir:

Tasteful instrumentation, dynamic rendering, etc. VSL woods, horn are great as usual, but I personally do not like the strings, there is a strident element that turns me off. IMHO, a piece like this requires the support of a smaller, lyrical string ensemble, there is an intensity here that doesn’t seem totally compatible with the character of this passage.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I really agree here with Gungnir. So far that\'s my problem with VSL strings. On some demos I like them and on some they sound too harsh for a giving piece. I think some people know how to devoid those notes by adapting their composition to the samples or by using other sections that sound less harsh.

------------
    Alex Cremers

They can be a little harsh sometimes. Depends on the situation and how you work with them. But if you need, you can always EQ them and take a bit out at around 3-3.5khz.

Go Back to forum