• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How hard to play Wallander Instruments?

Share/Bookmark

How hard to play Wallander Instruments?

Hi,
    I'm quite interested in Wallander instruments after hearing some demos. But I'm wondering, how hard will it be to play the instruments without a breath-controller or wind controller (using only keyboard and a slider for the breath data)?
    I'm looking for terrific sounding instruments without wasting time too much to tweak the parameters (i know that Wallander instruments do have so many parameters)

And how hard will it be if, someday, I'll buy a breath controller and use it for wallander instruments (i have no experiences in wind/brass instruments)?

Maybe some users that already have wallander instruments could share their story of learning the wallander instruments?
    thanks

Re: How hard to play Wallander Instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by hendyb
    And how hard will it be if, someday, I'll buy a breath controller and use it for wallander instruments (i have no experiences in wind/brass instruments)?
    I think you may be confusing a breath controller with a wind controller. A wind controller is indeed played like a wind instrument but a breath controller is basically just an input device which converts air pressure to controller data, the actual playing is still done with the keyboard.

If your keyboard doesn’t have a breath controller input you will need a breath-to-Midi converter like this:

www.midisolutions.com/prodbth.htm

and of course the breath controller itself, like the Yamaha BC3.

/Yoss

Incase you dont know, you can treat WIVI instruments just like "mod wheel blend" patches from traditional sample libraries. All "breath" data can be controlled via any midi CC you wish, including mod wheel. So you dont NEED a breath controller to get great sounding results with WIVI.

Also, if you wern't already aware, they offer a free demo of their WIVI player so you can try it yourself. Right now you can only demo the brass instruments, but the player is exactly the same for all WIVI instruments.

VST Download: http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/...=dltrial&fno=1

AU Download:http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/...=dltrial&fno=2

I will have an article on up my website in about two weeks going into greater details on the whole WIVI system, as I think its just fantastic!! Let me know if your interested and I'll post a direct link when its up!

All the best,
    Jon
    http://www.shopjt3.com

thanks for the reply Yos and Jon.

I know what breath controller is, even though i haven't ever tried it yet. I'm just imagining would it be hard to play keyboard while breath on the controller? Because I imagine it would have like split the brain into breathing the controller and pressing the notes... I just can't imagine that, but it sure looks as a tempting way to produce realistic wind instruments...

Jon, I'd be interested in that article, and will be thankful if you could give the link. Actually i've been playing for a very short time with the trial version, but it actually doesn't have much parameters to be played with, and I worried if it will take a long time just to play with the parameters to get the sound right, instead of just playing it out of the box..

I'm just imagining would it be hard to play keyboard while breath on the controller? Because I imagine it would have like split the brain into breathing the controller and pressing the notes...
    My experience has been the opposite, it just feels more natural and intuitive to use a breath controller than input devices like sliders or pedals.

/Yoss

Hi,
    I'm quite interested in Wallander instruments after hearing some demos. But I'm wondering, how hard will it be to play the instruments without a breath-controller or wind controller (using only keyboard and a slider for the breath data)?
    I'm looking for terrific sounding instruments without wasting time too much to tweak the parameters (i know that Wallander instruments do have so many parameters)

Maybe some users that already have wallander instruments could share their story of learning the wallander instruments?
    thanks
    Well, I don't think you'll have to spend a lot of time tweaking parameters in WIVI, but if you don't have access to a breath or wind controller it's likely that you'll need to spend quite some time drawing breath data in your sequencer.

It all depends on what level you require your results to be on. The good thing about WIVI is that you have full control over the envelope of each tone and phrase, but that is also the downside of WIVI. If you don't add expression to your phrases, the results can definitely become quite stiff (if you listen to the Gran Partita demo, you'll hear that almost every tone in the melodic part is played with great expression, like a crescendo, and this is as crucial to realism as the sound itself).

You might want to try out the Trial Edition, which now also features woodwinds. If you want results fast, I'd say buy WIVI if you're open to using a breath or wind controller. If you only use a keyboard, you'll need to spend more time sequencing with WIVI than with a sample library, because you also have the breath data to deal with, not only velocities. But if this is something you're open to doing, you can do a lot with WIVI which currently is impossible with a sample library.

Another thing that differs WIVI a bit from sample library is the CPU/RAM usage. If you use WIVI for brass and woodwinds, you'll have no trouble using a single laptop for sequencing. Just about all RAM is left to be used for strings and percussion. And you can expect a WIVI instrument to use considerably less RAM than an advanced sampled instrument these days (you have release samples, overlapping notes, transition samples, etc).

I've just been experimenting with the trial version and a breath controller and WIVI sounds excellent using this method. Its easier than playing and singing together and feels extremely natural. For a minute I almost felt like a brass player; I even tried double-tonguing. So Wivi and a breath controller is a great match. My K2600 already had a breath controller input, but for those who don't have that input MidiSolutions makes a little box that converts breath controller data into Midi data.

Jeff

Most hosts can map one controller to another, can't they? I'm using WIVI in Logic, I have one of the faders on my controller keyboard mapped to cc#2 (breath control) and since I always use WIVI as monophonic synth anyway, there's absolutely no problem playing the notes with my right hand while adjusting the value of cc#2 with my left hand, in realtime.
    And afterwards, it's very easy to tweak/optimize the recorded controller data in Logic's graphical editor or do a few other adjustments if necessary. Works great.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Piet De Ridder
    Most hosts can map one controller to another, can't they? I'm using WIVI in Logic, I have one of the faders on my controller keyboard mapped to cc#2 (breath control) and since I always use WIVI as monophonic synth anyway, there's absolutely no problem playing the notes with my right hand while adjusting the value of cc#2 with my left hand, in realtime.
    And afterwards, it's very easy to tweak/optimize the recorded controller data in Logic's graphical editor or do a few other adjustments if necessary. Works great.

_
    Actually, the WIVI breath control parameter can be assigned any CC (or pitch bend or key velocity), so you don't need to worry about mapping that in your host. In other words if you want to use your midi keyboards modwheel (CC1) to control WIVI "breath data", you just set that parameter in WIVI to CC1.

Yeah, I know but by taking care of the remapping outside of WIVI (permanently), I don't have to adjust the setting everytime I open the plugin, as it seems to default to breath=2.

Go Back to forum